Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was your inspiration? >

What was your inspiration?

What was your inspiration?

Old 01-19-2011, 05:39 PM

When I was pregnant I was shopping for everything and the baby blankets just did not scream "take me".At the check out I was leafing thru the mags and on the cover of G/H they had a pic of the cutest baby quilts so I bought the mag and my next stop was the Woolworth store for materials.These same quilts are still being used for all my great-grand babies except for one my son won"t part with his favorite one.Since then I can"t stop quilting
Old 01-19-2011, 05:40 PM

A young woman of Finnish descent, who came from Minnesota, worked with me for a number of years. She showed me the American method of hand quilting on Monday nights with her family. She opened a shop and sadly our time was cut short with her when she had a cerebral aneurysm whilst she was working there. I continue to have fond memories of those times and especially when I hand quilt.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:42 PM

A friend. Three of us were driving to a dog show and one of the gals was sewing the binding on a quilt during the drive. I watched her and I thought - yeah - I can do that. I've always had an interest in sewing (Mom taught me), so it was a natural step. That was 4 years ago.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:57 PM

My mom inspired me.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:59 PM

My inspiration was a neighbor ladies quilts,she has beautiful quilts on every bed and there was always one in the quilt frame in her living room,she taught me alot and my MIL taught me some also,but mostly I learned from books,but I still think about the neighbors quilts.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:00 PM

I come from a huge quilting family. My Mom, her 4 sisters and her Mother (Grandma S) were always making quilts. On my Dad's side, his mother (Grandma N) and 1 of his sisters made quilts also. A second paternal aunt taught me to crochet. My Aunt Diane (Paternal aunt above) also gave me my first lessons in FMQ. Up to this point I have come in possession of my Grandman N. staight stitch sewing machine and my Aunt Diane's quilting machine. So every time I make a quilt it is like it still comes from 3 generations.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:18 PM

I don't know. I just decided I wanted to make a quilt one day. I didn't have a CLUE what making a quilt entailed - nobody in my family quilts, none of my friends quilt, I'd never had a "real" quilt. I had a simple sewing machine, and had sewn a few things - pj pants and the like.

I saw a "start to quilt" kit that contained the basics (cutter, mat, ruler, pins, etc.) on sale, so I went and bought it, bought some fabric and came home and stared at it for a while. :lol: Still didn't have a clue. Then I spent a couple of weeks searching and looking and learning online...and went to it! And did it again...and again...and again...and, well, you get the point. That was August 2010. I've completed 5 quilts, and am quilting the 6th, and working on appliqués for the 7th, and many more planned with fabrics and patterns chosen, a modest stash that I just keep on adding to, a small collection of sewing machines (and still look for more!), and above all, a new love.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:44 PM

I have read all the Elm Creek quilting books and would have loved to go to their retreat
Old 01-19-2011, 06:58 PM

My wonderful and talented Momma was my inspiration in every way.......
Old 01-19-2011, 07:01 PM

I found a log cabin vest booklet in a Cape Cod library in the late 80s and started with those, creating several vests and jackets for myself and for friends. I was hooked by the colors and patterns that were created by the stripes that offset the log cabin motifs. Didn't quilt much, but sewed mostly clothing for about 10 years until quilt bug bit again, and now I can't wait to retire and be able to quilt all the time! Now I am into larger quilts for beds.

Quilting magazines and books inspire me as do so many of the posts and avatars on this blog! Thanks to all of you!