Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop? >

Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

Old 01-19-2011, 07:09 PM

HI all Yes The staff were nasty so I walked out with my money never to return. Their loss. Carmen
Old 01-19-2011, 07:10 PM

Yes, from time to time I do go into a shop where you can feel the tension on the air. I just leave & try again later. The one time I became incensed about poor customer service, my sister & I took a class at very friendly LQS, and while we were working on our OBW's our teacher was cutting & helping another shopper with loads of fabric.The teacher wasn't even an employee of the store. She spent about an hour with the customer. Those of us paying for her services went to the manager as a group. Needless to say, that teacher is no longer seen in this particular shop.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:15 PM

I think we have all been in a shop that is unfriendly, We have one shop here that want even talk to you unless you are spending money, then they are all over you. I go where there friendly and they don't expect me to spend lots of money. The one in Napa Ca. is great, they are always friendly when I go there.

Cookie
Old 01-19-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
We have very few shops to choose from in our area. One shop closed and moved to Ohio. The ladies who worked there were friendly but you could tell who the regulars were very quickly. The other big store is hit or miss on being friendly. The first time I went, I felt like I was in their way by asking them to cut some fabric. I have gone back a couple times, bu only when they have something I need and can't find elsewhere.

Two new shops opened up recently. The first is less than 5 minutes from my home. They badmouthed the other 2 quilt stores and that made me very uncomfortable. The other shop that opened made me feel very unwanted and I will not be going back to that one.

Strange to say, but I have gotten the friendliest help from our Walmart. Even people who don't work in fabrics but come over to cut it, are very nice.
I agree with you. The folks who work in fabric in Walmart are very friendly and very helpful. The prices would make me overlook unfriendly help, but luckily the ladies and gents who work in fabric and crafts have always been delightful!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Scraps
Four of us gals drove 2 hrs each way today to go to the largest quilt shop in Florida! 20,000 bolts of fabric and 700 books, etc. etc. Fabric choices were abundant - displayed well - clean shop, but the most unfriendly women working there we couldn't believe it. We didn't know how to react!!!! Next week we are taking our money to a friendly shop!
Well, I have to say the people at Joanns on Francis Avenue in Spokane, Washington are the nicest I have ever met. You take a number to have your fabric cut so no one gets favoritism and while the gals cut the fabric they chit chat with you about your project, if you found everything, did you have any questions,
is there anything they can help you with. I will always go there first!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:31 PM

I have been to that shop before and that is how they treat all customers.
The Quilt Shop in DeLand is great. Judy is wonderful. I'm doing her retreat in Sept there.
Shop in Rockledge is also great,Country Bears in Clearwater is wonderful,John and Thersea are grat owners.
Sunshine Sewing in MArgate has a huge selection like Rainbow,Fay and Richard are very nice.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:45 PM

There is a quilt shop across the river from St. Louis in Illinois. They aren't particularly friendly, but do have very good classes which I have taken. Last year I signed up for a four day retreat with them. There were only about a dozen women at the retreat. They were extremely cliquish, things weren't shared, like irons (every other retreat I have been to had pressing stations that we all used). Anyway on the third day one of the ladies mentioned that next year, let's not publicize the retreat. Let's just have us. Well, a few months later, I noticed I was no longer getting the monthly emails from this quilt shop. So, I guess they didn't want to risk getting any other newcomers to their group. And, I do not go there any more.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:46 PM

wish they all could be nice
Old 01-19-2011, 07:48 PM

I have been to one localy and the owner is the rudest of all. Also talked to others and am told she is like that most of the time. I no longer go there and do not recomend it. :thumbdown:
Old 01-19-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by fixfido
Absolutely, and I think it's so weird. I've been to shops where the employees are almost quilt "snobs" who seem to size you up the minute you walk through the door. I hope these store owners realize that people rarely spend money where they feel unwelcome or unwanted.
My favorite quilt shop in Phoenix is a small shop 3Dudes. They have a small seating area, tea or coffee, and homemade cookies. They really, really make you feel welcome. When I'm in Phoenix I may shop hop, but mostly I buy at their shop.