Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
"Precious Memories" My Alzheimers Tribute Quilt >

"Precious Memories" My Alzheimers Tribute Quilt

"Precious Memories" My Alzheimers Tribute Quilt

Old 01-19-2011, 09:21 PM

Your quilt is wonderful. I have a suggestion about taking it to the nursing home. When my father had to go to a nursing home we were told to have his clothes and other things registered at the main office. We did that. When we brought other things for him to wear the people on his floor told us they could put his name on his things. Well a lot of his clothes disappeared. We complained at the main office and were told unless they had put his name on things and had a list they were not responsible. So make sure you know what the rules are at the nursing home your FIL is in. It would be terrible to have him lose that quilt. Even the day my dad was going from the nursing home to hospice one of the workers tried to walk off with his comforter. My mother had to chase this person down in the hallway to get his little quilt back. I hope you have better luck.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:32 PM

He will love it and keep him warm some times you need a nice warm blanket in nursing homes when they turn the air conditioner down to low .
Old 01-19-2011, 09:34 PM

This is a beautiful quilt. This is a horrible disease. My husband has 3 in his family so far. My heart goes out to the patients and the families.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:47 PM

I love this bright quilt, I am sorry that your FIL has this terrible disease, it hits all people of life, rich or poor. A good friend lost her FIL to this disease a few years ago, he had plenty of money but it didn't matter, the money didn't help. A man that worked with my DH lost his wife to Alzheimers last year, she was just in her 50's.
Just love him and help to make him comfortable.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gbquilter
So make sure you know what the rules are at the nursing home your FIL is in. It would be terrible to have him lose that quilt. Even the day my dad was going from the nursing home to hospice one of the workers tried to walk off with his comforter. My mother had to chase this person down in the hallway to get his little quilt back. I hope you have better luck.
I am sorry to hear you had that problem but fortunately there is not that type of a problem at this home. If I took you there and did not tell you it was a nursing home you would think its a retirement community. Its smells just like what ever the next meal is and if it were not for the nursing uniforms you would think your in your own home. It has the prettiest hard wood floors and warm rich colors!!

But I am in charge of the Quilting Bee up at the home for the folks and I am there at least once a week. And its only an hours drive to get to it so its not far at all. Right now we are working on quilts for everyones room and it might take up until the end of the year to make them but it will be done! But I do not think it will come up missing and if it does it is because they put it in another neighbors room by accident.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Banned

Oh and Paw Paw is actually doing a lot better now that he is around a lot of folks there. He will be 84 this coming Monday and he is in perfect health and doing really well. His memory seems to have improved quite a bit and his short term memory is improving. Since he has moved in he looks 10 years younger and he has filled out again and has all of his color back. It has been a blessing to have him there and out of all the nursing homes in our state this is one of 4 that has a 5 star rating with the state, and they specialized in memory care! The vast majority only have 2 to 3 star ratings at best.

I keep telling the director I want to move in as soon as possible, all I need is my lap top, wifi ,my treadle and I am good to go!!! :thumbup:

Billy
Old 01-19-2011, 10:23 PM

I feel like I am sewing a "Gees Bend" quilt. If you want to see pictures of what I have been doing, check out the blog that I started. sewcrazyfl.blogspot.com/ I have really enjoyed sewing all these scraps. I am putting no thought into it...just sewing on what ever piece I pull from the scrap tub.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:28 PM

I'm glad your FIL is in such a wonderful place. You are doing a wonderful thing helping peole to keep busy during the later days in their lives. I'm sure you are greatly appreciated. God Bless You.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:52 AM

Very beautiful.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:16 AM

Just love the scrappy quilts! You inspire me to work on mine. Thanks for sharing.