Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Darling? Husband >

My Darling? Husband

My Darling? Husband

Old 01-20-2011, 03:57 AM

After reading all these posts, I have to agree, that most men are alike. Mine just ignores my quilting unless it interferes with his dinner. I get the occasional yeah.. that's nice as he is trying to look around me to see the tv. I have come to the point where I just don't care. I quilted before him and I will quilt long after him. Quilting makes me feel useful as they bring such joy to the recipients and creates a feeling of love as I wrap my grandchildren up in them. Quilting is where we put our thoughts and feelings, our love, and our hurts. Each quilt I make has a part of me attached to it, and I would never not want that outlet. Hubbys need to accept us as we are as we accept them. Sorry, I guess we all get frustrated!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:07 AM

I put my sewing machine at one end of the living room way behind the sofa where I can see the TV and talk to my DH if only he'd wear his hearing aid. I have an obvious sewing corner set up with ironing board, thread storage, no stash and when people come on they comment on my hobby. However, we're retired, and my hobby is more important to me than keeping the house ready for entertainment and I am also spending time with DH - at least in the same room. Works for us. He'll go to the LQS but he reads a book the whole time he's there. He takes a book everyplace we go shopping because I shop longer than he does. He will buy 5 items from a 15 item list, and say "I couldn't find the rest." then sit down and start reading. He really just doesn't want me driving his truck! LOL
Old 01-20-2011, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by diannemc
My Darling? Husband is a TV person..He has no hobbies...Watching TV is all he does when not working...I am not!!..I love my sewing..He has always hated my sewing...
I don't know why except maybe the money it takes and the time it takes away from him...(and maybe the pins he has had to pull out of his barefoot a time or two :oops:)
Well the other day I finished a quilt and showed it to him.. He said "Thank goodness you are through".. I am sick of all this quilting..It use to be sewing now quilting... I wish you would just stop it..." I just turned and looked him square in the eyes and said.."Quilting makes me happy....and trust me....You want me to be happy..." Am I the only one here who has a hard time with a husband who doesn't understand to joy of quilting??
When my H and I were married just after the war, there were still very few domestic items being made because the factories hadn't been converted back from war materials . Our wedding was very simple,no frills. My H ask what I wanted for a wedding present. I said a portable Singer sewing machine He finally found a lovely used model with the rolled wood top and paid $75. That was a fortune in those days. From that day on, he knew where my secret love was hiding. I sewed and sewed and sewed and he had a happy wife. Never questioned any of my sewing purchases tho there was a raised eyebrow now and then. He was a king..........most of the time.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:28 AM

I would suggest I would quit sewing when he quits watching TV. Would be interesting to see how long that would last. suggest a compromise, you will only sew the same amount of time he watches TV. You should get lots of stitching done that way.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:33 AM

I just don't understand that kind of thinking, I feel very lucky that my husband has a passion also and we're both very joyful of each others time spent doing what makes us happy!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:41 AM

After reading all of the posts, both positive and negative, I reflected on my marriage of 22 years as of January 7 and realized how lucky I am. We each have and had our hobbies that have taken up time but until a few years ago, we both worked up to 60 or 70 hours a week. I am now on disability for MS and sewing, quilting and machine embroidery are what keep what is left of my cognitive skills sharp. My husband knows this and "participates" when I "allow" him to! My DD, age 19, also loves to quilt so DH knows quilting is a part of his life. No, he doesn't like to watch TV by himself and I try to do as much during the day while he is at work so we can sit together. At least we enjoy the same TV shows. He also goes to bed early because he is up at 4:30am so I still have a couple of hours to "play" if I feel like it. He loves the quilts and other items I make for his family for Christmas and other special days and we have many in our home. He also is proud of what our daughter has created and brags about her often. I guess what I am trying to say is I wish your husband appreciated what you and your daughter do with your time. I am lucky and I will send prayers your way for things to change for the better!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:49 AM

Location: Live in Michigan, but I'm in Heaven when in my sewing room

I am sorry to all of you who's husband don't support your joy of sewing and quilting. Fortunately for me, my husband just loves the fact that I am happy while doing what makes me happy. I just casually mentioned to my son the other day that the next item on my list is to get an embroidery machine. When the conversation was over, my husband asked me what it was and said "why don't you just go get one". I had to explain to him it is quite expensive and right now would not be the best time to spend. I have to be the strong one here because he would just get me one anyway. Love this man!!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:50 AM

I feel everyone's pain! My DH doesn't have any hobbies either, except TV. He also wants me to sit there with him, and I don't have a problem with that as long as I have some hand work to do. I have a couple applique projects, a couple knitting projects and I let a few quilts in need of binding pile up. Then, when we spend a day together, usually watching movies, I have plenty to keep me occupied, and I'm also in the room spending time with DH. I know it is not perfect. I still have to make compromises (does he? probably not). I have to work my sewing time around his schedule. He does not complain about my stash and is also happy that it makes me happy!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:52 AM
j

Over my life time I have met many husband and wifes's like this. I married a second time and my husband one day when I was folding clothes, asked me to fold his underwear a certain way, So I did it perfectly then I took my hands and jumbled it all up, And told him that was the last time I would ever do that and he could put it away. Now I fold it to make it neat (to move it) but I never put it away he does. We have now been married 18 years. Sometimes wives in their first marriages cater to them to much and they are like puppies and take every advantage they can. - J
Old 01-20-2011, 04:54 AM

So sorry you have a hubby like that.. I know some men are selfish and that is what he is being by trying to deny you your pleasure... I am thankful my husband is very supportive of my sewing and quilting.. :) Just keep doing what you like..It is not like you hurting him...He should find some hobby instead of sitting in front of TV...To me~that is waste of time much of the time..LOL