Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Money Saving Tips for Quilting >

Money Saving Tips for Quilting

Money Saving Tips for Quilting

Old 01-19-2011, 10:03 PM

to answer barbz I can't drive anymore so I have to wait to go there saturday ( if not snowed in) but after I go I will post what area it is and how much okay?
Old 01-19-2011, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
just thought of another one..that I have been doing all week..

UNSUBSCRIBE! I have unsubbed from every online quilt shop newsletter....if they have a sale..yeah for them....
I do NOT need to keep buying it just because it was on sale..even if fabric goes to $15 yd in the next 2 years....

I also wanted to add that when it comes to saving files, I have folders labeled, king, queen, twin, throw, wall hanging, decor, holiday then when I want a certain project I know where the file/link is!

Along the same lines as UNSUBSCRIBE...I have begun to apply that to magazine. I will thumb through new magazines in stores and if there is something that I want to make, then I'll by the magazine, or if I have a better filing system (one where I actually can find what I want) I'll go to my local library and photo copy it.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:52 AM

The goodwill here wont sell fabric or canning supplies or old computers. How do I know I tried giving them an old monitor and printer. Even with the printer software they wouldnt take it, thats when they gave me a list of things they wouldnt take.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:52 AM

Another great place to save is the Habitat foro Humanity warehouse. Haven't seen anything for sewing, but lots of other things you might need particularly if you are doing any repair, redecorating or constructing projects. They are really at reduced prices and have a lot of brand new things. My son got some beautiful cabinet pulls at very low prices.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
The goodwill here wont sell fabric or canning supplies or old computers. How do I know I tried giving them an old monitor and printer. Even with the printer software they wouldnt take it, thats when they gave me a list of things they wouldnt take.
this is where Freecycle comes in handy. I got rid of an 18 year old printer last year to someone who Really wanted that model. Paid me to ship it to him and everything.

Just go to www.freecycle.org and put in your local area. You will have to join the group to post or read ads, but you can set it to where you do not get emails from them if you don't want to. The groups are run by Yahoo Groups, I have never had a problem with spam or scammers, and I belong to a few FC groups. If you have a yahoo account you can just sign in with that.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-25-2019 at 02:36 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-20-2011, 09:27 AM

At our local quilting guild we have a guild library and can borrow books for one month for free. Late fees are one dollar per month.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
leatheflea, have you tried asking them to hold it for you, call you and you will be happy to go get it and give a donation for something that they throw away? or maybe they bundle it and sell all fabric as 'rags' ... I think that is what alot of thrift stores do.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 01-20-2011, 09:37 AM

at our local .99 store they were selling plate holders made of wooden dowels and I use it for holding my rulers, etc., was a great buy for a buck. At least I think they were for stacking plates, they were in the kitchen gadget area.

I also bought lots (40) of the carpet rotary blades at Harbor Freight, oh my they are wonderful. And needles in bulk from a yahoo group called Needlecoop. Divided the packs with 3 other friends and we each got 75 needles (25 were titanium) for less than $16. I won't need to buy more blades or needles for a long long time.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 01-20-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sheila_Newhouse
I stopped in the local Big Lots store yesterday, they had all the Christmas items on sale, I got packages of batting that was to be used for mantles, under trees, etc.. I plan to use them for wall hangings, table runners, placemats...size was 15" by 10 ft. for $1.00, maybe some people wouldn't use this, but I think it will work out ok.
What a great idea
Old 01-20-2011, 04:42 PM

I'm a pack rat--I can't Throw anything away. But... I found Freecycle.org and I've given more stuff away that has been in my house and never used. But I couldn't throw it away. So Freecycle has been wonderful for me. I very rarely ask for anything, but fortunately I've given Lots away. I think everybody should join Freecycle.org. Keep the landfills free of stuff that won't decompose. Who cares what would become of landfills anyway???

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-25-2019 at 02:37 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps