Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Darling? Husband >

My Darling? Husband

My Darling? Husband

Old 01-20-2011, 09:46 AM

I don't know if your husband hunts or fishes but I have found that some guys think it is their right to spend tons of money on this activity. In a lot of cases it's a male bonding of men drinking, eating and farting. If they don't get a deer or fish they have nothing to show for all that time and money. But we have a quilt and maybe have a gift to give. I don't really think that you sitting with your husband while he watches TV is time well spent. I don't think you are having meaningful conversations. My husband spends hour in the basement playing his music and I'm just fine with that. My hubby does cost more then his but that is too bad. I don't smoke , shop, by shoes or spend money on anything else. If he wants to spend time with you he should come up with an activity or date night that he can spend time with you. Ok, I admit you opened a can of worms for me. He needs to get a life, what would he do if something happened to you and you were gone? He would still sit and watch TV all by himself.
Enough said. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Sorry to hear that Dianne. I have a theory about marriages. I think that every couple needs 3 hobbies between them. One for him. One for her. And one for both of them to enjoy together.

Try to engage him in a hobby that you can enjoy together!!
You are so right. I have quilting, he has his gun collecting and we have our 4 wheelers and snowmobiles we always play on together or go camping on high mountain lakes. Works great for both of us.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:52 AM

When you can't beat them join him...make him a quilt
with his favorites, tell him, he can cuddle up with
that while you sew!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:55 AM

I'm so sorry that your hubby doesn't like your quilting. My husband took up wood carving about a year and a half ago and is doing beautifully. He had never had a creative hobby but always appreciated the sewing and crafts that I got into. Now that he has his own, we are our own biggest fans! We are approaching retirement years and can hardly wait to have more time for our hobbies. There is nothing more wonderful than sitting outside our camper, under the awning, with him making woodchips and me scattering bits of thread and fabric!
Maybe you could encourage your hubby to find a hobby he would enjoy as much as you enjoy your quilting?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:11 AM

My husband is a sports watcher. He thinks I should watch it with him and that means no hand sewing just watching. He doesn't have a hobby and no matter what I say he doesn't seem to want one. That is his hobby tv sports. He doesn't like my quilting and is always asking who are you making that for. He doesn't understand sometimes it is just because. I love him but I think all woman should have been handed a club when they married so they could give them a wack once in a while. Oh well enough said. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:12 AM

I did have the same problem, this was my fix. "Oh you don't like me sewing so much because we never spend time together, no problem, I can fix that", I brought all my sewing treasures out of the sewing room and into the dining room (open concept with living room) proceeded to start sewing, cutting, pinning. Unfortunately, the boys were over watching football. OOP's, I am sorry you don't have room for your snacks, drinks and oh yes, please watch your language. Well, now I have a NEW larger sewing room, brighter lights and more storage. The area of the floor space is 450 sq ft. and it is totally private. Moral of this story is DON'T MESS WITH MY QUILTING!!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by cindy182
I did have the same problem, this was my fix. "Oh you don't like me sewing so much because we never spend time together, no problem, I can fix that", I brought all my sewing treasures out of the sewing room and into the dining room (open concept with living room) proceeded to start sewing, cutting, pinning. Unfortunately, the boys were over watching football. OOP's, I am sorry you don't have room for your snacks, drinks and oh yes, please watch your language. Well, now I have a NEW larger sewing room, brighter lights and more storage. The area of the floor space is 450 sq ft. and it is totally private. Moral of this story is DON'T MESS WITH MY QUILTING!!!!
:lol: Awesome!!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by cindy182
Thanks for a great laugh!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:33 AM

My DH was always proud of my sewing and quilting. When he began to complain about it- other things also annoyed him- long story short- he is now an Alzheimers patient in a nursing home! I can sew to my heart's content now but with tears in my eyes.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by candi
I am so very sorry you have to deal with this attitude. I won't tolerate that from my husband, sounds like a lack of respect to me. I know people are different, but personally I won't live with that, if it was my husband, I would have a good talk with him about it, what is it that he doesn't like about your sewing? He wants to spend more time together, then maybe you too can find a common hobby to do together so that it'd be together quality time. Other than that, he really has no right complaining about something you like to do, unless you are going way overboard to where is is unhealthy.

I am fortunate to have a husband who has great respect for me and everything I choose to do, I do the same for him and I won't have it Any other way. We have the common hobbies to do together, then we have hobbies we do alone, it creates a good balance and we both are very happy and satisfied. As an example, just the other day, my hubby was doing sone woodwork for our house, and I walked just as he was finishing setting it up, I commented on how much his workmanship has improved and how much I like the piece he built. When he was done, we were sipping tea together and he stArted going upstairs saying "let me go admire your work as you just admired mine". LOL, he is wonderful, I love him. He may not have any interest in quilting per se, but he respects the fact that I do, and he actually listens to what I say about it, admires my work and would even go into the fabric store if I needed to stop there during one of our outings. He'll also give me an opinion about color, placement or whatever if I ask.

I really think you need to talk to your husband and get this resolved.

Hugs
Candi
My husband is the same way. He respects my quilting/sewing. I think it used to bother him when the boys were little and I sewed in the evenings but now that our nest is empty, he doesn't mind. He has his "man" room next to my sewing room. We can still visit. He likes his sports, computer, TV, etc. And that's OK. He too stops when we travel. He will ask if there are any quilt shops we need to stop at in this town! Frankly, I think he enjoys the break from driving! He's a one-in-a million. My friends are jealous because he likes to do the vacuumming and cleans the bathrooms. I don't do it right. That is to say, I don't get out the little shop vac and do baseboards, move furniture and vaccuum the furniture like he does! And he will spend much more time on the bathrooms. It's great when we have company - all I have to do is cook!