Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Darling? Husband >

My Darling? Husband

My Darling? Husband

Old 01-20-2011, 10:52 AM

my hubby was that way when we first got married, I couldn't even read a book that he was complaining. I've always been one not to just sit. I'll sit and watch tv but not just that, have to be doing something also.. hes now learned of 30 yrs of marriage to hush and go on.. he does complain about my stash mess... but i have very little space. I just ignore him on that too...haha
Old 01-20-2011, 10:58 AM

My husband wishes I would spend more time in my sewing room and less on the computer.But now my FIL, well let's just say he was more like yours. He wanted MIL right beside him all the time.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:01 AM

I have a rare breed of husband. He encourages my quilting. In fact told me to put off job hunting to quilt. I sometimes tell him I feel lazy because I haven't gotten anything done around the house. and he will always say "But you enjoyed your quilting, and that is something that is good." I enjoy my free time to quilt but tomorrow I go to get my work schedule. Feeling lazy when he works 60+ hours a week. But on the plus side...almost done with my quilt top. and then will make my quilting frame and get on with the main event.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by gloria11
he does complain about my stash mess... but i have very little space. I just ignore him on that too...haha
mine started to make little comments...nothing major but I got the hint. He thought I had way too much fabric. My solution - started showing him photos and blogs of other peoples stashes. He's not said a word. I had to do the same with all my scrapbooking supplies too..... Someone always has way more regardless of what it is :lol: :lol:
Old 01-20-2011, 11:05 AM

I have only read thew dfirst page here but must go ahead and reply. My hubby does not mind my sewing and quilting he thinks I can do anything on that line which is not true but I let him think that, lol However, even though I moved my computer where I can see and touch him when he is watching his shows he complains about that. Go figure.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:36 AM

My ex-husband hated it when I did anything that didn't relate to him, that included reading, sewing, talking on the telephone, etc. After our divorce I vowed never to make that same mistake again.
I've been remarried for 32 years to a wonderful man, whatever makes me happy makes him happy, he's a doll!
Old 01-20-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieF
My husband who is a serious sports junky (baseball, football)….years ago…..in February when his favorite sports were not on TV, asked me to give up quilting as it took time away from “our marriage”. He wanted to spend more time with me (and yes, he sits in front of the TV a lot!!) and if I wasn’t actually machine stitching in my quilt studio, I was hand sewing or reading about it or shopping for fabric and he wanted it to stop. So I told him….”of course honey, if it’s for our marriage, of course I would give up my passion…..I would stop quilting, sewing and reading about it….you only have to do one thing for me…for the sake of our marriage……give up baseball…watching it on TV, playing in the summer, reading about it on the sports page and attending games in person!”……He looked at me with a gaping mouth, closed it, turned around and left the room and it’s the last time he has mentioned my quilting as a deterrent to our marriage....and he has gotten more tolerant...
I did something similar to my DH. We lived together for 3 years before we married (27 years ago!!) When I moved in, he sat me down and told me how much my portion of the rent, utilities, groceries, etc. that I was going to pay. When he was finished, I very calmly said that that was fine, however, my hourly rate for housecleaning, doing laundry, cooking, and bedroom frolics, etc. was equal to what he was charging me." Not another word was said and, to this day, our finances are separate.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by diannemc
The thing is he works..so I sew while he is at work...I sit with him when he gets home...
Okay, so it's not because you "neglect" him.

Originally Posted by diannemc
Hey maybe it is because he has to work? and I stay at home??
Y'know, this may be it. He probably has a lot of resentment in him. It's not your issue, of course, it's something he has to figure out, if he wants to. If he doesn't, well, there's not much you can do about that.

Does he resent other things you do while he is at work?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:59 AM

Nope you are not the only one. EX wanted me to sit and watch football. Didn't matter he fell asleep, I wasn't allowed to even do hand sewing or read a book.
I can's even begin tell you how MUCH I hate football and watching sports in general.
All I can say is I am so glad the Ex decided he wanted a younger woman. hehe she left him LOL
Old 01-20-2011, 12:02 PM

I am sorry your husband doesn't respect and support you in what you do. Maybe with time as some have suggested. In over 40 years I never heard a compliment on any of the things I did from my husband, and I heard a lot of complaints. But, not long before he died, I heard him say to someone else about a wall hanging that I made, "I thought that was neat as >>>> when she did that." To myself, I thought, "Wow"! And, I am still cherishing that one comment. This too shall pass is what a friend told me.