Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Darling? Husband >

My Darling? Husband

My Darling? Husband

Old 01-20-2011, 02:59 PM

I am the "dear husband" and quilting is my hobby, not her's ... my Lady is very supportive and I never want for fabric or notions ... looking at a new machine - any suggestions?
Old 01-20-2011, 03:05 PM

Mine gets a little grumpy when the projects are scattered about the house. I just tell him to get over it....it keeps me off the streets.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:15 PM

I have to say, I am really surprised by the number of posts reporting the same or similar problem, marriage is about equal partnership, each partner has rights and responsibilities, and I can't begin to fantom why a partner feels that he has the right to be not respectful about your hobbies and passions, especially that you say you are doing your best to spend time with him, which by the way, in my book, spending time in front of a TV is as far as it gets from quality time. There seems to be a lack of respect IMHO, and that is really bad for any kind of relationship.

I hope you can get your problem solved, and reach a respectful compromise.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:30 PM

My husband always tells everyone. Happy wife--Happy life.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:34 PM

Don't be disheartened. He sounds like a jealous man who doesn't want you to be happy. You may want to suggest counseling. There may be some other underlying problems that you need to be aware of. Sometimes people who are envious use these types of tactics to put down those around them to bolster themselves up. I know...I went through it for a long time till I got a divorce.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:50 PM

A man I have known for a long time, lost his wife and told me that the worst day of marriage, is better than the best day alone. I never forgot this. I have been married 37 yrs and My husband thinks my sewing is OK, never complains about it. He only hates me to book vendor shows and dislikes helping me setting up tent and tables grids and sides. Do you think your husband is jealous about you hobby? Hope it gets better. Don't quit.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:52 PM

Mine watches TV unless it is fishing weather, but he never, ever interferes with anything that I want to do. He doesn't pout either. I am the same with him..........if he wants to watch TV I just go about my sewing, computer or whatever I want to do. No conflict here and I am sooo happy about that. Wish your hubby was more understanding of your hobby!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:17 PM

My Dad was that way about my Mom's gardening until some of their friends came to visit from out of town and just loved everything my Mom had done with their yard! It was amazing because then he started doing all kinds of hardscape projects to make the yard look even better. When we went plant shopping the next spring he handed my Mom $200.00 to buy anything she wanted for the yard. Sorry this is long and rambling but just hang in there!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Banned

Well my DH is supportive. He always is there when I need him to make me rulers, etc. He made me two oak tables, that go back to back. One has my machine in it...He cut out the hole and did the acrylic top. Then he made me a huge oak cutting table with wire baskets underneath. One day I have to take a picture of my sewing rm....
I in return support him building his 1932 Ford Roadster from the ground up.

So we both have "hobbies". It's hard when a "better half" does not have a hobbie after retiring. I would think that makes for a long day!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:27 PM

Dear sweet Diane,
I have the most wonderful husband on earth, who truly appreciates my quilting and always praises me on whatever I do, but I also love the times he watches football, or cooking shows, when I can get away and spend my own time quilting. He often says "but I am so lonesome in here all alone" and makes me feel quilty that I didn't! Ok laugh now, but we have to make the men in our lives understand that we are people too that have our own interests that just doesn't include them...he knows I am always right around the corner!