Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Darling? Husband >

My Darling? Husband

My Darling? Husband

Old 01-20-2011, 04:38 PM

I think you have a clone of my husband! I think it is the companionship that they want more than anything else. Sure, griping about the cost is also a possibility.

Stick to your guns. You've told him quilting makes you happy, so now ask him what makes him happy and join him in it occasionally, if possible.

When my husband told me he resents the time quilting takes me away from him, I proposed that every day we'd sit down together for 15 minutes and talk about all the good qualities that made us choose each other as mates, or what our individual plans and wishes were. Real Quality Time....That lasted about a week....(*grin*)

Since then, he watches TV with his head set on, and I do my quilting, reading, writing, computing,etc. A person with no hobbies gets lonely and finds it hard to relate to the sense of accomplishment a hobby brings. But, being able to negotiate and be considerate of one another has really quelled all those complaints. Hang in there.....

Marveen
Old 01-20-2011, 04:43 PM

well, maybe do with no TY and no quilting-sewing for a spell and see what happens. Some Times, we need to be patient and take the shoe from the other foot, gently. After a few days of no TV, maybe he will agree one habit is really no different than the other. TV can be a learning experience, so won't say a negative there. Sewing is also a learning experience.... Suggest making a date once or twice a week for just time for the two of YOU, no sewing or TV, go for a soda, coffee maybe visiting. What ever you do, do it in love, it will increase, negative will destroy. Reminds me of a time, my hubby forbid me to go to church or bible study, ( I could have gone against him) I told him, you can take everything away, but not the Jesus in me, well one day abt 2 months later, he came home early asking why I was not at bible study. I reminded him, (he forgot) he said get ready, I will drive you, He then went in and asked a room full of ladies to forgive him... Not trying to be preachy, suggesting honey works better than viniger.....no matter the right or wrong. (((hugs)) to you and what your going through. :)
Old 01-20-2011, 04:43 PM

I guess I am blessed with a Significant Other who is very understanding. He helps to pick out fabrics and will crawl around on the floor to move blocks for a lay out - and he will come into my room and visit with me when I am sewing.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:50 PM

My husband has never verbilized it quite that way, but he is just not interested in my hobby. When I show him a finished project he will say "that's nice". Except, last year I made a T-shirt quilt for a neice's HS graduation, and then another one for our DD's birthday (her's was all of her Univ of FL sorority and game day t-shirts) and he fell in love with them. He called me into our bedroom one day and had 12 of his old military, boating, golfing, hunting, fishing and bowling T-shirts laid out and said "this is all I want for Christmas". It was just about all he got ( smile), and he loved it. But now he is back to his regular old "oh, that's nice". He retired recently (I'm still working for the time being), and if he doesn't start doing something besides sitting around watching West Coast Chopper and Pardon the Interruption pretty soon I may have to do something drastic!!! My sympathies are with you.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:53 PM

My husband doesn't mind the sewing and quilting, he just doesn't understand why I need so much fabric. He thinks I should only buy what I need, and not have a stash. He also doesn't understand why I would buy remnants when they are on sale. But he definitely does not mind the sewing, because he knows how happy it makes me. He is supportive of my projects, especially the ones I make for my granddaughter. I hope someday your husband will understand your hobby, or maybe he can get one of his own. Good Luck.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
My husband would prefer that I spend more time with him or cleaning the house than I do, but he doesn't say anything really against it like yours. My husband knew that I sewed before we married so that wasn't an issue, maybe you and your husband should sit down and have a discussion about what would make both of you "happy", and if sewing/quilting makes you happy, so be it, life is too short to spend it being miserable.
My husband is a TV watcher too. I decided a long time ago that the house can be cleaned after I'm dead. (Not that it is all that dirty.) I make sure I go with him to Lowe's or where ever. I even occasionally give in and go to Golden Corral with him. Now THAT'S what he calls quality time. It keeps him from fussing and me sewing.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:01 PM

hummm, I solved this issue by becoming passionate about hand work. He loves it when I sit and watch Wagon Train, Gunsmoke...have gun will travel...and the only way I am going to do that is with hand work...a match made in heaven!

Anna
Old 01-20-2011, 05:05 PM

Mine does tease that we will need a second insurance policy - aka a rider - just for all my craft stuff. However, he's an enabler buying every book off my Amazon wish list and being very supportive. After reading this he may get an extra hug and a kiss tonight.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:11 PM

my husband does not mind my quilting until it cost him money or i get his rulers or sandpaper
Old 01-20-2011, 05:13 PM

My husband didn't have any hobbies either and just basically watched TV or would go have coffee with the guys once in awhile. He didn't like my sewing so much but he never wanted to do anything or go anywhere so I would just say "It is better I'm home then somewhere else!!" He then would be quiet and just grumble a little. Men are very immature at any age so just do what you do and be proud of what you are making. There may be a day he will see the light.