Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
opinions please >

opinions please

opinions please

Old 12-01-2008, 04:46 PM

As I was reading this topic, the first thing that popped into my mind about others using your machine was the insurance, but I see you don't have that in mind at the moment. A local lady here, buys warm & natural bolts wholesale so she can offer this as her ""preferred batting" to quilt at a reduced rate over the stores. How will you promote your business? On your 4'x 8' tables, would it be possible to make a hinged section that you could bring up if you wanted to use something wider than 4 feet? I didn't see a design wall .... Will you be using this room for yourself as a quilt studio as well as a business machine quilting area? I'd love to have floor to ceiling sliding doors that act as design walls if I had the space. Congrats on your dreams & look forward to pictures as you share this journey with us.
Just for fun, I measured out a 5'x 6' space ....not very big for an "office" as a matter of fact, if I was in that little space, there is no way I would let anyone else into it. I think if you're going to have people coming in to review pattern designs, thread selections, batting choices, etc. that you should have at least an 8" square space JMHO
Old 12-01-2008, 04:51 PM

will you be able to reach across the tables for cutting? are you tall enough?
on the bolt storage areas that are 4' deep will there be one layer behind the other and you can see one layer only? will you be selling bulky supplies as well? i see that the pegboard is right near the door, so you see the notions as you walk in. that's a good idea, but keep your eye on things 'walking out' with your customers. quilters are usually honest but i know the store near me has problems. also, think about showing examples of your own quilting about 3' square so customers can see your talent and have a sign underneath clearly showing prices. no arguing later.

we all wish you the greatest good luck. that's a lot of responsibility and hard work. and a big investment. where are you in pennsylvania?
Old 12-01-2008, 05:02 PM

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Your shop looks fabulous. Lots of lighting and work space around your quilting machine-nice. Check your counter height with your height. (I am tall and most are low and hurt my back. Big issue at work when we work on projects.) The Bathroom issue was addressed-might check with your state and see what requirements they would have. Where we are if it isn't "open to the public" the requrements are simpler. Where is your expresso machine and your comfy corner for reading quilting magazines and hanging out?

I hope you will keep us posted! Wishing you every success!! :lol:
Old 12-01-2008, 05:45 PM

Oh goodness--how incredibly exciting for you!! I don't have any experience with lay outs, so I can't help you there. But, I wanted to wish you all the success in the world!! You go girl!! :D :!: :D :!:

The quilt shop I take stuff to had it on their website that they rented out the machine. When I asked them about how they worked that out (I did NOT want to rent it!! :roll: ) they had already changed their mind and decided not to. I don't blame you for not wanting someone who you don't know use such an expensive machine. Yikes.

Keep us posted!!
Old 12-01-2008, 07:30 PM

looks great - the others have already asked all my questions except one - the 4 feet depth of bolt storage - it is fine for things at arm level, but I wonder how practical the upper and lower sections will be. buying batting in the big commercial rolls is going to take a batch of space, too. Also, you may want to invest in some anti-fatigue mats or resilient flooring where you will be spending a lot of time.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:56 PM

I haven't started a business, but I do tend to send my quilts out to our local long arm lady, who does wonderful work. Perhaps you may want to give a local person a call and see what they say, or hopefully, someone here will be able to give a lot better help than me...

Either way, congrats to you and good luck!
Old 12-01-2008, 09:11 PM

Good luck with the business venture.

My comment is about sharing a building with your husband's wood shop. Wood shops are notoriously dusty. My husband has state-of-the-art dust collection systems in his wood shop and there is still dust with some processes. If your husband's wood shop has a good dust collection system and there is no access between the two shop areas, you should be fine, but I would check that out. You want to be sure it is clean in your quilting area.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:28 PM

Congrats! What a wonderful idea! Everyone has talked about most of what I would offer. When we started our business we had a list of rules to comply with, such as handicap access, bathroom availability, parking access, etc. The city usually keeps tabs on new things and will let you know whats what. Keep us posted!
Old 12-02-2008, 04:53 AM

that's what i was going to say = a new business has to comply with the city's code regulations. upon opening a barber shop in a new location, it had to have an 8' x 8' wheelchair accessible bathroom, all the wiring has to be in conduit etc etc a list a mile long, so just check out all those things. and good luck, it will be wonderful when u get it up & running.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:59 AM

You know, if you are not operating a retail sort of establishment and are just providing a service, you don't have to worry about a lot of those details. I sew and do alterations and make special order quilts for people from my home without having a "store front." Much of it is done by mail, but if I am doing local alterations, the client just uses my bedroom as a fitting room. I don't have a need for extended parking, and traffic on our street is not increased because of my business.

Basically, in your situation, people are dropping off quilt tops and you quilt them and they pick them up. I bet you are in a similar situation as I am. I would not try to set up a "customer" area at all.