Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Darling? Husband >

My Darling? Husband

My Darling? Husband

Old 01-20-2011, 07:08 PM

After reading all these pages I guess I need to speak my mind. I think my DH gets PMS sometimes maybe yours does to. I may not go upstairs for 2 weeks to quilt but when I do he says, are you done. But when I watch TV with him he will say, aren’t you going to do any sewing? He’s always asking me to watch TV but he watches the same shows. We could watch the same CSI for weeks in a row. With 120 channels you would think there was something else to watch.

I told him I will watch TV every other night with him and every other night I’m quilting. I will do what he enjoys but then he needs to let me do what I enjoy.

You need to be your own person or you will lose yourself. I'm not saying put your foot down. Talking about it always helps in our home.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Evelyn
My DH was always proud of my sewing and quilting. When he began to complain about it- other things also annoyed him- long story short- he is now an Alzheimers patient in a nursing home! I can sew to my heart's content now but with tears in my eyes.
That reminded me of a story I heard yrs ago about a wife not being able to sleep because of husband snoring. He passed away. Now wife would give anything to hear him snore again. We should all be thankful for what we have. Could always be worst!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:11 PM

Gee I'm sorry to hear that he doesn't like that you take time to quilt!

Can you quilt in the same room or nearby while he watches tv? I think I might understand how he feels, but only cuz he doesn't seem to have any 'passion' for his own hobbies.

My hubby supports my quilting in every way, even suggested that I use the main part of our huge master bedroom for my 'studio' while we use the comfy cozy retreat off to the side for our bed.

Hopefully he will mellow and realize how much joy your quilting brings you ... and as you said he should want you to be happy cuz then you'll be more apt to make him happy. ;-)

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 01-20-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by craftymatt2
Mine will not say a thing, if he does he knows i will shove my foot in his mouth
This has to be the best answer of all. I posted earlier that I wish DH would get more interested in my hobby and I do feel like that. BUT if he ever tries to get me to give it up, well, that will be the last time he is happy around here. LOLOLOLOL
Old 01-20-2011, 07:51 PM

My dh plays the piano every moment he isn't working or sleeping and the grandson's not here so he can't say much. He has always been OK with my sewing and now quilting but he has made snarky comments when I'm multi-tasking with the cooking and quilting. I'm not a very good multi-tasker LOL quilting comes first. I'm very new to quilting but have sewn for years and when not doing that I read and now I have an MP3 player so I can read and quilt--love it!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:52 PM

sorry for you as I don't have that problem.

my hubby is all for my quilting and sometimes it gets embarrassing when he starts telling others about my quilts.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones.......

and he doesn't complain about my stash either ...lolololol

mj
Old 01-20-2011, 08:03 PM

When DH and I were first married (45+ years ago), he complained about my sewing, knitting, etc that I just put everything away. It took only about 2 weeks before he was begging me to get it all out again. The longer it had been since I did any projects, the worse my disposition was. I will say that wasn't on purpose. I just needed those activities to stay sane.

Fast forward to now, he encourages me to buy fabric or whatever I need to use for the current fabric and has even helped me find the right one. He embarrasses me by bragging too much about things I have made. So the moral of the story is time does mellow those men.

By the way, I used to work with a young man who had to sneek his fabric in the house. He is a wonderful artist, and even made a christianing gown for his babies. He has even been featured in a magazine.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:12 PM

My DH doesn't understand my quilting...cutting up perfectly good fabric into little bits to sew back together again??
But he has never said anything to make me stop and has been supportive in his own way.
Now that I have my own room (DD moved out 2 years ago) he will even bring in a cup of tea if I have been in there for a while and stop for a chat. I think after all the years he had his MAN SHED and was out there doing STUFF, he figures he doesn't need to understand it, he's just happy it makes me happy.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

It's pure selfishness. Nothing more. A person who cares about another person, cares about what matters to them. And they want to support what makes the other person happy, even if it's not "their thing" personally. That makes a healthy marriage. We aren't going to see eye to eye on everything, but the level of respect has to be there for a marriage to work and be a happy one.

So sorry, Diane, and others who have posted, that your hubbys are antagonistic towards the things you love. I hope you can talk your problems out with them and get to a better understanding, before you can't live with them at all.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:15 PM

My husband is also a TV watcher. We are both retired and home together most all the time. My sewing room is on the second floor and his office/computer room is also on the second floor. He can watch TV in his room or down stairs. I've asked him he minds me spending so much time sewing and he has always says no. I know were you are if I need you. My responce too him was, I could he sitting on a bar stool in a bar. Not that I'm a drinker just a comment I made and we both it was funny.
Originally Posted by diannemc
My Darling? Husband is a TV person..He has no hobbies...Watching TV is all he does when not working...I am not!!..I love my sewing..He has always hated my sewing...
I don't know why except maybe the money it takes and the time it takes away from him...(and maybe the pins he has had to pull out of his barefoot a time or two :oops:)
Well the other day I finished a quilt and showed it to him.. He said "Thank goodness you are through".. I am sick of all this quilting..It use to be sewing now quilting... I wish you would just stop it..." I just turned and looked him square in the eyes and said.."Quilting makes me happy....and trust me....You want me to be happy..." Am I the only one here who has a hard time with a husband who doesn't understand to joy of quilting??