Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newspaper used as batting in a vintage quilt. >

Newspaper used as batting in a vintage quilt.

Newspaper used as batting in a vintage quilt.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by mustangquilts
I have a small quilt made in the late 1800's that was never finished and the batting is old news papers. My mom wanted me to finish it but instead I had DH put it in a frame with the batting showing. I keep it in my sewing room. I love it, because it is so frugal. I also have about 10 all different sized blocks from the same GGM done in the early 1900's that DH is getting ready to put in frames for me.
How wonderful to have such precious memories of your GGM.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ
Have you heard newspapers being called rags? The paper used was made from rags that the poor collected from the trash of the rich and sold to paper factories. No lie. I'm sure some people continued using newspapers after they were mostly wood fiber without realizing a change had happened.
The first time I read about newspapers used as filler it referred to a Massachusetts quilt made in the 1700s, so paper, as you say, was probably recycled rags.
My Mom used to tell us stories of when she was young and growing up during the depression years. One was about people who used to go around the neighborhood and ask for old clothes, etc. She said they were called "rag pickers." Mom's family usually didn't have anything to share because there were 12 in the family and all of the older kids clothes went to the younger ones. Her father was out of work until he got a job with the WPA. I think that is the right name. I used to feel so sad when she told of the really poor people. She said they didn't feel poor because they took care of each other and her Mom had two jobs. My Mom quit school at the age of twelve to take care of the babies so her Mom could work outside the home. Mom is the only member of her family still living she is 87 and doing great and she keeps her sewing machine busy.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Maybe they couldn't afford any more fabric, but needed warmth and were able to delay washing them till they could afford something else.
I've heard of newspapers being used as insulation under linoleum where the floor boards were letting in wind. This was way back then in the hills, before dragons or cell phones walked the earth.
Putting newspapers under linoleum was a very common practice in Australia - especially during the depression years. I always have great fun reading all of the old stuff when renovating the floor coverings. One place I was in even wall papered the house with newspapers. Another interesting one was a rattan blind made out of cord and rolled up newspaper where the cane would normally be - it looks really funky.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady37
An older lady once told me that they sewed on newspaper like some people sew on muslin for scrap quilts. Some people left the newspapers in when finishing the quilt. I always wondered what would happen when you washed the quilt.
I don't think they washed them in those days. I've read that they used newspaper as a foundation for piecing especially for the insulation properties.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:20 PM

Never heard of newspaper as batting, but I know it is great insulation for frozen and cold foods when traveling.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:55 PM

I have quilt blocks that have the paper on the back. As close as we can find the paper is dated 1911, I would like to piece the quilt together but I do not want to remove the paper. so I guess I will leave them alone. they were all hand pieced. the paper is starting to get brittle on a few blocks. But I had never heard of it being used for batting. :)
Old 01-20-2011, 08:00 PM

My grandma never washed a quilt. When you think about it, how would you handle a large wet quilt? Remember the washing machines were primitive if they even had one, otherwise you washed in a large tub, rinsed in another large tub, etc. But you can bet once a week all the quilts got a good airing in the sunshine.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tropical
Has anyone heard of using newspaper as batting in a quilt? I was talking to a young woman Walmart associate today who wanted to know if she could help me locate what I was looking for in the magazine department. I was looking for a quilting magazine to browse through while waiting for my DH. She started telling me about three quilts her deceased grandmother had quilted and she had inherited. She was looking for someone to restore them. She proceeded to explain that newspaper had been used for batting. I thought that was a rather odd choice because how would you ever be able to clean them. Just wondering if anyone had heard of that

practice.

It doesn't suprise at all. Quilts were not washed on a regular basis back then so multiple layers of newspaper would not break up easily. Newspaper is actually a very good insulator and when used in multiple sheets is much like a blanket. This is why homeless people use it to keep warm.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:44 PM

Late in the Civil War, mainly in the south when supplies were rare and the need for soldier blankets was great, paper was used for batting. It provided good insulation when cotton and wool were not available. Not many of the quilts survived, however.

I have several string quilt blocks where newspaper was used as a foundation for the block. Usually it was removed before quilting. I also read an article about a quilting project during the depression for orphans where paper batting was used out of necessity.

Quilts were very seldom washed. Even clothing, especially "good" clothing like silk dresses or wool items were not immersed in water but brushed well and hung to air. Our ancestors were pretty creative when it came to using what was available and making do.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 PM

I have a cousin in the early 80's that has her great grandmother's quilt on her den wall. (no, it's no near any windows) I'll have to check it out when I see her next.