Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-21-2011, 06:11 AM

We have several machine come from e-bay and arrived intact. So sorry to hear about the white fw. We just had one arrive and it was packed in about 2 lbs. of s.foam and bubble wrap in a double box.

Can't wait for the weather to warm up it's been so cold this year. We have several machines that need cleaning. To cold in the garage and don't want to do it in the house. So we have just wiped them down and DH gave them a good oiling and I have experimented on them.

Randa, Vintagemotif and Nancy, I am so glad you are able to
use your Davis machines. Mine is on our closed in porch and it's to cold to be out there.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Re the poor white FW that arrived in such a state. I was under the impression that the motor for these was actually black originally, and sprayed to put it on the white ones. Am I wrong in that assumption? My white FW has a few tiny chips on its motor, and it appears to be black underneath.
The white motors are different from the black ones. They are a more powerful motor. We just talked with a SMG yesterday and he has been working on Singers for over 50 years. He gave DH a ton of info. which was very helpful since he has a lot of machines waiting for him when the weather gets warmer.

:mrgreen:
Old 01-21-2011, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Re the poor white FW that arrived in such a state. I was under the impression that the motor for these was actually black originally, and sprayed to put it on the white ones. Am I wrong in that assumption? My white FW has a few tiny chips on its motor, and it appears to be black underneath.
The white motors are different from the black ones. They are a more powerful motor. We just talked with a SMG yesterday and he has been working on Singers for over 50 years. He gave DH a ton of info. which was very helpful since he has a lot of machines waiting for him when the weather gets warmer.

How interesting, because my older, black 222 stitches faster, and seems less laboured than my younger white 221. Is there anything I can do to improve it?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:28 AM

Trish, that's interesting -- why are the white motors more powerful? Is it because they were made a lot later than the black FWs? I don't know what year Singer started making the white machines? I have not heard of a white model from the 30's?. If the white one has a more powerful motor, that probably means the 'newer' black machines have the same motor? Billy do you know anything about this?

Nancy
Old 01-21-2011, 06:29 AM

How interesting, because my older, black 222 stitches faster, and seems less laboured than my younger white 221. Is there anything I can do to improve it?
Look at the amps on the two motors and see if they are different. If the white one has a .4amp it has a black motor painted. Other wise the motor just might need a good cleaning. This old gentleman I talk to worked for Singer in England for many years. He is a book of information. Hope this helps. We had a motor that was sluggesh and our DS took it to work and cleaned it and now it would run a sawmill.

:lol: :lol:
Old 01-21-2011, 06:29 AM

Lacelady you have a 222? How cool is that!

Nancy
Old 01-21-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Trish, that's interesting -- why are the white motors more powerful? Is it because they were made a lot later than the black FWs? I don't know what year Singer started making the white machines? I have not heard of a white model from the 30's?. If the white one has a more powerful motor, that probably means the 'newer' black machines have the same motor? Billy do you know anything about this?

Nancy
They started making the white FW about 1960 -61. They stopped making the black ones just prior to that. They made the tan ones between the white and black.

:)
Old 01-21-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by pennijanine
I am anxiously waiting for a cleaned up pic!! I bet she will SHINE.
Still working on it. I had a DUH moment the other night when I realized that I could use the fine grade (#0000) steel wool to remove rust and those burrs/rust spots that just don't want to come off. Here are some photos of before and after. Billy would have them even cleaner, but he is the pro while I'm the amateur.
Monica, did you get the Blue Magic to use on the machine? You are doing a great job so far. I can't wait to see her when you get her done! I have ordered some of that Blue Magic TR 3 Resin Glaze, and I can't wait to try it on all my beautiful machines!

Nancy
Old 01-21-2011, 06:38 AM

They started making the white FW about 1960 -61. They stopped making the black ones just prior to that. They made the tan ones between the white and black.

:)
Wow, so I won't find a black FW after 1960? I did not know this. I have a 1935 black, a 1953 black, and now the 1964 white machine. So does that mean Singer made the tan FWs and black FWs during the same time period?

This explains why the white FWs are so expensive. They were only made for a few years because it is my understanding the FW production was stopped about 1969. That means the tan ones are probably even more rare and expensive! Now that I have a black and white one, I want a tan one too!

Nancy
Old 01-21-2011, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

Interesting about the motors. I had heard just the opposite, that the black ones were more powerful than the white ones. Also the bed on the white one is a little shorter.