Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
After reading the unpleasant shopping post..... >

After reading the unpleasant shopping post.....

After reading the unpleasant shopping post.....

Old 01-21-2011, 12:53 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by M.I.Late
Maybe we should see if Admin wants to start a whole section for reviews.
as stated repeatededly, here and in other topics, that is not a purpose of this board.

reviews are subjective. they are based on personal opinion, which is too much influenced by the reviewer's own personality. also, ratings data are unreliable to the point of being useless or deceptive unless you have input from hundreds or thousands of individuals to use for the calculations.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:14 AM

I only have one Quilt shop that I frequent, because there are no others around - this one is 85 miles away - one way. But then that shop one WalMart and Hobby Lobby are the only places in that town that sell fabric. These are the nearest places for fabric or any other sewing supplies for me. The QS has a friendly staff and when I go in, there is usually someone near the front of the store and always speak, then let you do your thing. If I am wandering around someone always comes up and offers help the staff is always willing to help, if I need help I just have to ask. I've never really had a bad experience with them.
But just like someone posted earlier - it is a two way street, any employee in any type of store can have a bad day just like the rest of us, and it does show to the public at times. However if I am in a business and I'm treated rude, more than once, I Don't go back. But then that's just me.
I'm a retired 1st grade teacher. I always tried to not let my bad feelings show in my class room, because the kidos could always pick up on it. I set rules and expectations at the beginning of the year, and followed through. I made an effort to teach my students to be polite and have manners with each other and to always treat others like they wanted to be treated. I set the example with good manners to my students and insisted that they do the same. When some slacked off on this I didn't have to remind them the rest of the class did.
I recently received one of the best compliments from an ex student. I did not remember her after about 20 yrs, but she remembered me and informed me that she and friends in the class thought at the time that I was really just mean and strict, but as they grew up they realized just how much they actually learned in life lessons in that class, not just academics and how it had affected them all through school and into their adult lives. She said they often thought about their First Grade. It seems that they had discussed teachers not too long before my meeting her. I think this was the best compliment anyone could have. Sure made me stand a little taller and pat myself on the back.
So we all need to really treat others like we want to be treated. Sometimes when we go into a store we may have an attitude and not realize it that rubs off on those waiting on us. Also the time of the day may make a big difference too. Everyone is usually tired at the end of the day and ready to go home and rest.
Sorry so long but just my opinions
Old 01-21-2011, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting
I guess I have been very fortunate as I have never been treated poorly in a quilt shop. In my hometown of Nelsonville we have Nelsonville Quilt Co., in Lancaster-Pleasent Mountain Stitchery, in Logan-Honey Fork Fabrics, and others in SE Ohio. If you are ever in this area check them out. And let me know,I'll come and meet you there. Lisa
You can fellow Honey Fork Fabric on facebook. Love them Small shop but have a lot of good things. :thumbup:
Old 01-21-2011, 02:08 AM

My favorite shop in Austin,Texas is "Honey Bee Quilts". The owners are 3 sisters and they are wonderful people who've hired wonderful staff. When I walk in the door they greet me by name and ask if there's anything special I'm looking for.
Its a great place to shop. My truck knows how to get there all by herself. :lol:
Old 01-21-2011, 06:52 AM

How very sweet for you to put in a good word for Quilts by Phyllis. I personally have never had the opportunity to go there, however, my quilt club is a big supporter of hers. I have never heard anything negative about this shop and have been in the club for 13 years. I have met her a few times and she has always presented a positive attitude. Love to hear positive things about our shops.
Originally Posted by nena
I will have to say there is a quilt shop here in WV( Hurricane) called "Quilts by Phyllis". I live about 35 min. away ,but I go there when I can. Everyone is so helpful and is sooo friendly. They seem as excited about your new project as you do. I love that place!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:56 AM

Indeed a small world. I am originally from Milton. Greetings!
Originally Posted by SewOK
Nena, my dh's sister lives in Scott Depot and my sisters live in Milton and Culloden. When dh and I are there, I always try to go to Phyllis' shop. I am always greeted with a smile and end up chatting for several minutes after shopping and before leaving.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:59 AM

I don't remember ever being treated rudely in a fabric store.

My beef is when the store puts sale signs on displays, and then when you go to buy the item or the fabric, you are told it's not on sale, and/or the sale sign was for the other side of the display (which also has a sign on it).
Old 01-21-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by M.I.Late
Maybe we should see if Admin wants to start a whole section for reviews. What do you all think?
Besides thinking that the entire legal department would have a collective coronary, I think this board has pretty much become all about what to buy and where already.

Look at how many threads are about good and bad purchasing experiences, what machine to buy, the best iron to get, where to find a certain pattern, your favorite ruler, the price of cotton, the cost of fabric, and on and on. There's hardly any talk about actual quilting anymore...it's all about spending money.

I know how to spend money (!), but I can't remember the last time I actually learned something new about quilting on this board. I really miss that. :?
Old 01-21-2011, 07:38 AM

Usually I will skim over the posts (of this wonderful site, thanks to all who oversee) and comment on only a few. However, this one has caught my attention and have read every post today. I work in a utility office and constantly wait on customers. Some of them I look forward to every month and some I grit my teeth when I see them come in the door. One customer in particular was what I considered rude month in and month out. I always smile and greet each customer with a Hello and try to make small talk, be friendly...etc... This lady just would never respond and always had a frown. One day she came in and I commented on the weather to her. She continued to frown and made the comment that her fibro-myalsia (spelling?) was just killing her that day. Let me tell you, that day changed the way I look at my customers. Had another instance that the husband came to pay their bill and the very next sunday, I found out that they had just been told (the very day he came in to pay) that his wife had been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. I try to look at my customers now with a lot more understanding and patience. I find that also when I am out, if someone is rude or impatient with me, I try to think that something in THEIR life my not be going so well and that it probably is not me at all. The Golden Rule usually works very well if we will just implement it in our lives.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:50 AM

i don't know what the libel laws are state to state but You all better be careful of putting things in writing is dangerous these days.

Like IMLate said these are opinions.