Quilt Challenge!

Old 01-22-2011, 03:26 AM

Beautiful quilt! I need to get all my scraps organized so I can join all of you. It is just amazing what you are turning out with your scraps!
Old 01-22-2011, 04:16 AM

I have several scraps and I am using them now to make two quilts for my two grandsons for Christmas. I am also using some mens shirts I got for free at the Help Center in town and out of my husband's closet. I think this is a wonderful thing to promote.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:16 AM

I just have one concern. I want there to be quilt shops around that sell really different fabrics and if they don't make some money they will close. Now that I have said that, I also love to make scrap quilts and enjoy going through my scraps. I also like going to the quilt shops and looking at all the neat fabric.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:57 PM
JJC

Originally Posted by quiltmaker101
A lot of us are concerned about the lack of shops selling fabrics, and the prices in general, so I have a challenge for everyone. Let's see how many of us can make a quilt from just our scraps and small stash pieces within the next year. Backing is up to you whether you purchase or are really thrifty/creative with what you already have!

The thinking here is to be like the women who quilted in pioneer days. They had no shops nearby and had to save worn out shirts and dresses or feedsacks to make a quilt. We can do that too!

For inspiration, please visit www.quiltville.com and read her tips on scrap sorting and see the amazing quilts she has made from them! It is an awesome website.

If you don't already have a scrap drawer, start one! Every time you trim off ends, square up your fabric, etc, put the strips and pieces into light, dark and medium assortments. I got a lot of satisfaction from going through my scraps and making them organized. Mine are in shoe boxes and ziplocs for now. I will have to get the clear storage drawer set up that Bonnie has on her website.

Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with by next Christmas!

Hi, Ya'll. This is Patrice, here. Just wanted to explain why I had the "nerve" to post this to the top with a sticky so it won't move from Page 1. Just so happens, somebody who thinks this is a super idea asked me to find a way to make sure everybody knows about it. This was the best way I could think of to do that.

A great idea. I just wanted to share with everyone my scrappy Butterfly quilt that I finished this past year in 2010. They are appliqued butterflies with embroidary on them centered on an off white muslin block. The shashing strips are all pieces of scraps sewn together in every which direction. There are three different borders with the middle one being a checkered board one and the binding is made up of the strips from the borders. I had it professionally quilted and the quilting on it is just beautiful with about four different patterns on it. For now I'm just hanging on to it and enjoying it on a guest bed, but may decide to sell it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-167449.jpe
Views:	92
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	167454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-167450.jpe
Views:	97
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	167455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-167451.jpe
Views:	95
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	167456  
Old 01-24-2011, 07:01 PM
JJC

Beautiful Quilt, very striking with all the different colors.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:41 AM

I like it. I like the way the butterflies look on the muslin. It is attractive.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:40 PM
JJC

Thank-you.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by vanessa
Hi Wendy,

I already have a way of using up my scraps and it is amazing how many quilts you can make out of your scraps and just think, you also save money too! My technique is alot like the crazy quilt style and does help use up the scraps.

Vanessa
how did you get that bird and mouse to sit there are they sick lol the bird looks drunk
Old 01-25-2011, 11:49 PM

beautiful quilts
Old 01-27-2011, 10:59 AM

there are some very lovely quilts here. Makes me want to get more organized, too!