Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Backing Help Please!! >

Backing Help Please!!

Backing Help Please!!

Old 01-21-2011, 06:32 PM

First quilt?!! I just wish my current quilts looked as good! LOL I used to cut my backing at least 3" bigger than my top on all sides. I found out I was wasting a lot of fabric. I quilt on my own domestic Babylock Decorator's Choice machine. Now I cut it only 1 1/2 to 2" bigger. Best to go bigger until you find out how much you really need. Some quilting takes up more fabric than others, but I quilt only "just enough." I prefer to have the pieccing paatern stand out more than the quilting. Just my opinion.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:32 PM

Grat job on your quilt. Super job.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by yonnikka
I'm giving you a link:
http://quilting.about.com/od/finishi...lt_backing.htm

This is about.com Finishing your Quilt Quilt Backing.
I think this site is Wonderful for simple directions; it is quicker than buying a book at this time. If you want to buy a book, check out the Rodale series, at amazon.com for used books. Rodale is wonderfully illustrated. Gives you all the instructions, spells out all the terms...
Here are my own personal Best Tips:
1) Machine stitch your Quilt Top around all edges, within the quarter inch seam line. This prevents stretching, and you can better control flatness of pieced edges at the seamlines.
2) Fold your Backing into Half, then into Quarters, and use your Hot Iron to press in Perfect Crease Lines, so you know Exactly where the MIDDLE falls, in both directions, horizontal and vertical. Much better than chalk marks.
3) On your Quilt Top, Mark your Middle Points with 4 pins, (Top Center, Bottom Center, Left, and Right) which you will match up with the Perfect Crease Lines on the Quilt Back.
4) Ask for Help. Have a confident friend work from the other side of your 3 layers, and with both hands, smoothe, smoothe, smoothe your entire quilt working from center to sides, center to top and bottom, to ease out any extra batting or wrinkles... You will feel inconsistencies with your hands, one under the 3 layers, other hand on topside.
5) Pin, pin, pin, working from Center to sides.
Best of luck to you, your top is very impressive. It deserves to be finished and used.
Love your tips ... I learned so much from you. Thank you.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:48 PM

well i see your help has arrived, that is what is so good about this sire ,everyone is willing to help each other, your quilt is beautiful cant wait to see what you make next !! keep up the good work
Old 01-21-2011, 10:08 PM

Wow nice job! What is the name of that quilt pattern? or a link to get one?? I am also a biginner and also love the challenge that quilting offers. I started with a twist and turn quilt.. not done yet.

Anyway, I have found a lot of info that helps me on YouTube because that I need to "see" how it's done to really get it with the full idea. I simply did a search for "quilt backing" "quilt batting" "quilt borders" "finishing quilt back" etc etc... remember to include "quilt" in your search or you will get stuff that has nothing to do with quilting.

Please share when you finish it... very, very nice!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:18 PM

Click on search at the top of the page and type in measuring and cutting quilt backings, and I'm sure you will find lots of information here on the board about it. After that, search for layering the quilt, and you will learn about how to put the layers together. This board is just full of tutorials and helpful information on just about anything you need to know about quilting. SEARCH will become one of your best tools!! Hugs and looking forward to seeing your progress. Your quilt is awesome!!!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:50 PM

You are the most talented beginner I've ever seen. We think alike when it comes to quilt patterns. Simple quilt patterns never catch my eye it's only the ones with the complicated design that I want to make. If it weren't for this site I don't know what we'd do...
Old 01-22-2011, 07:11 AM

Oh, you're NOT a beginner! Really! Confess and we will forgive you! LOL! That quilt is a real stunner. You should be sooooo proud. I hope that link from yonnikka helps. There is a way to do the backing so that you don't have the seams straight up the back -- it just looks more professional. There is a way that you create a tube and then split the tube, but I can't seem to find the link for it today. Keep up the good (great) work.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Banned

Your new? Wow - cuz that is great...really great!
Old 01-22-2011, 11:06 AM

You did a fantastic job.Several of the quilters I know use sheets for the backing. :-)