Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pull or Don't Pull >

Pull or Don't Pull

Pull or Don't Pull

Old 01-21-2011, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I was taught a quick method to straighten grain. Simply pull on the bias of the fabric from one corner to the other. Do it both ways. Then when folding to cut you can see the "drape" if it was not cut straight. Then, with selvedges matched I move one cut end over until the fabric hangs straight when folded. This keeps my cut strips nice and straight with no dog legs. I was never taught the pull a thread method but it does sound like it could come in handy on some fabrics where you really need the straight of grain.
This is my way too!
Old 01-22-2011, 07:15 AM

My mother used to do this. She said she did it because of the poor quality of the material that was all they could get during the depression and the war years. That was done before the really great manufacturing processes were done here in the US. I really don't think you have to do it anymore. Most times the material comes straight from the looms, is treated with the fabric finishes, then folded, ironed, and wound onto the bolts for shipment. Never a human hand in the process. I really don't think this is necessary anymore. I never do it and I don't have problems.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:35 PM

some times the fabric is so wacky that if you do the pull you will loose half of the fabric when you find out this it is usualy to late to take it back to store
Old 01-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Banned

I don't do that but do tear to get the straght grain and some fabrics really need it.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:35 PM

Wish there was a way to discern grain straightness while it's still on the bolt in the store!