Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric >

Fabric

Fabric

Old 01-21-2011, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by lalaland
FEEL the fabric, obviously not all 100% cotton is created equal and if you feel it, you'll quickly notice the difference. Also, if it feels rough, it will probably still be rough after washing.

Those really expensive Egyptian cotton sheets, which feel like soft butter against your skin, are expensive because of the thread count.

And if you hold fabric up and really look at it, often you can see how tightly, or loosely, the threads are woven.
so are used Egyptian Cotton sheets good to use for a quilt or maybe the back of one ?
Old 01-22-2011, 04:42 AM

Sometimes you can feel the quality difference. Have to always shop carefully
Old 01-22-2011, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

I have found that the thread count is not always a factor. To me this is like saying that a 500 thread count sheet purchased cheaper at a large chain store in not as good quality as a 500 thread count sheet purchased at an individual shop at a higher price. It has a lot to do with purchasing power. I have found high quality fabric at WalMart for $2.50 to $5.00 per yard and have the same fabric in an LQS for $3.00 to $5.00 per yard higher. I have even known of LQShops that have bought bolts of fabric at WalMart and mark it up and sell it at their shops. It stands to reason that WalMart and Hobby Lobby can buy much larger quantities at a lower cost than an LQS so therefore they can sell it cheaper than the small individual shops that have a much lower purchasing power. Many times the LQS can offer more personal experience and advice than the "chain" stores but if it is price you are looking for I have found that WalMart has some fine quality. I bought some flannel at a well known and respected LQS that was thinner than the flannel I bought at WalMart or Hobby Lobby and paid $5.00 more per yard. I think it all depends on the fabric and you can find good and not so good anywhere. As a WalMart associate who worked fabrics (which has now been removed) for several years and an avid quilter, this is just MHO.

Originally Posted by quilteragogo
you know I have alway wondered the same. expecially when the material at 3 different stores look the same.. :roll: :oops: never thought about the thread count though. :roll: hmmm will have to check it out. thank you for asking the question.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:49 AM

How about thread? I used some "cheap" thread, and wound up cussing ALOT as it kept breaking and getting all wonky! NEVER gonna fudge again!
Old 01-22-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady
Good one Bailey

Truism at its best :thumbup:
Ditto here.!!!! :thumbup:
Old 01-22-2011, 07:21 AM

The easy answer is $5 to $7 dollars -- sorry couldn't resist -- my bad. I think, as many have said in the discussions, that you HAVE to look closely at the fabric and feel it. You will get experienced (if you aren't already) and will be able to feel how good or bad the fabric is. Bad fabric feels bumpy and the weave looks loose. There are definite deviations in the pattern. Look at the end of the bolt and see if the thread count is listed. I have had some that were and some that weren't. I would rather spend more money and get something that is going to last in my quilts than save $3/yrd and have something that falls apart in 3 to 5 years.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by penski
Originally Posted by lalaland
FEEL the fabric, obviously not all 100% cotton is created equal and if you feel it, you'll quickly notice the difference. Also, if it feels rough, it will probably still be rough after washing.

Those really expensive Egyptian cotton sheets, which feel like soft butter against your skin, are expensive because of the thread count.

And if you hold fabric up and really look at it, often you can see how tightly, or loosely, the threads are woven.
so are used Egyptian Cotton sheets good to use for a quilt or maybe the back of one ?
My dtr bought me a set of Egyptian Cotton sheets and because of the higher thread count I find them much hotter to sleep under than 'regular' cotton sheets.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by twinkie
I have found that the thread count is not always a factor. To me this is like saying that a 500 thread count sheet purchased cheaper at a large chain store in not as good quality as a 500 thread count sheet purchased at an individual shop at a higher price. It has a lot to do with purchasing power. I have found high quality fabric at WalMart for $2.50 to $5.00 per yard and have the same fabric in an LQS for $3.00 to $5.00 per yard higher. I have even known of LQShops that have bought bolts of fabric at WalMart and mark it up and sell it at their shops. It stands to reason that WalMart and Hobby Lobby can buy much larger quantities at a lower cost than an LQS so therefore they can sell it cheaper than the small individual shops that have a much lower purchasing power. Many times the LQS can offer more personal experience and advice than the "chain" stores but if it is price you are looking for I have found that WalMart has some fine quality. I bought some flannel at a well known and respected LQS that was thinner than the flannel I bought at WalMart or Hobby Lobby and paid $5.00 more per yard. I think it all depends on the fabric and you can find good and not so good anywhere. As a WalMart associate who worked fabrics (which has now been removed) for several years and an avid quilter, this is just MHO.

Originally Posted by quilteragogo
you know I have alway wondered the same. expecially when the material at 3 different stores look the same.. :roll: :oops: never thought about the thread count though. :roll: hmmm will have to check it out. thank you for asking the question.
I agree with you Twinkie BECAUSE....
The lady at our WalMart fabric section told me they purchase there fabric from the SAME company as our LQS.So unless she isn't telling the truth you are RIGHT :thumbup:
Old 01-22-2011, 01:26 PM

I completely agree with the points liste so far, but to add my 2 cents as well:

I've been to some fabric shops that sell "quilting fabric" and it's not 100% Cotton but 100% Polyester instead. So I always ask and read to make sure I am getting what I intended. Usually Quilting Fabric as a reference is a matter primarily of thread count and fabric quality, but can also mean other things in some stores, so be sure to ask ;) and that's really the bottomline. You wouldn't want to risk making a big impulse purchase because of a good sale, and in the end wind up disappointed.

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
- The Creative Seamstress
Old 01-27-2011, 10:57 PM

I bought "Kona" in a LQS and then bought "Kona" at JoAnn's. The difference is amazing, much to my surprise: the LQS Kona is smooth whereas the Kona from JoAnn's just doesn't seem to let go of the lint from the Warm & Natural batting that was close to it, even after lint-roller cleaning.

So......not all Kona is created equally? I thought Kona was a specific product and would be consistent... Not so??