Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-22-2011, 09:24 AM

Thank you Bo. I think I will just keep my eyes out. He knows my number if he goes to drop the price. I don't HAVE to have one..just liked the great color on it. What is to be is to be....

Bo Those were my horses. I used to raise Mini's.... I sure do miss them too.. That was Cloud Dancer and Eric checking out the spring flowers.. If I wasn't all alone, I would have them again. I get concerned if I got sick or something...my dog and cat are inside and less work but ahh , there is something dif about horses..had race horses, riding horses, then went to minis..and drove some too.. They are fantastic .... what more can I say , smiles!!
Old 01-22-2011, 10:07 AM

I just found your site yesterday & it sparked my interest in an old acquisition my DH & I made years ago in a RI barn. Turns out it is a Singer treadle Red, with ID # G9360997. Can you tell me what year it was made and what model type without a pic? My DH will be using your tutorial to get off the years of dust, dirt & grime & to refinish the cabinet.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by redpurselady
Originally Posted by Ann63
Originally Posted by redpurselady
Ann, I'm curious - what kind of feedback does this seller have?
I haven't heard from the seller since I contacted PayPal.
What I meant is his feedback rating? I rarely bid on anyone's items that has less than 98% positive rating.

I have a bad vibe about this - wonder if he sent you an already damaged machine. Did you pay with Paypal? Supposedly, they are good about protecting the buyer.

When I got my Red Eye, I contacted the seller prior to shipping to make sure he packed it securely. He wrapped the machine really tightly with bubble wrap and then put it in the wooden case, then wrapping that as well and putting it in a box with peanuts. He did a great job.
The seller have 100% rating, that's why I did bid on the machine. A lot of his items appear to be estate items, such as glass items, comic books and I did another sewing machine listed by this seller. I read the reviews which were good. I had no reason to think the machine would be in the condition I recieved it in.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by NANCYM.
I just found your site yesterday & it sparked my interest in an old acquisition my DH & I made years ago in a RI barn. Turns out it is a Singer treadle Red, with ID # G9360997. Can you tell me what year it was made and what model type without a pic? My DH will be using your tutorial to get off the years of dust, dirt & grime & to refinish the cabinet.
Hello and welcome!!! :-D
You can get the info about your machine from this site:
http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html
I see that yours is a model 66 and was made on May 16, 1922!!
Old 01-22-2011, 01:18 PM

[quote=BoJangles]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy
I was very excited about the Blue Magic discovery - now I am a little worried about using anything. I don't want to turn those decals silver!

Nancy
I keep reading blogs. Everyone who has used TR3 have been very pleased and haven't had problems with the decals. It seems the decals turn silver in the cleaning process. NOT the polishing process, which is the TR3. If the shellac is already damaged or if you clean the shellac/varnish off, then if you aren't careful, you can quickly turn the decals to silver with the cleaning product of choice. I found a Yahoo Davis group, that I'm going to ask questions on cleaning this machine. I too do not wish to ruin the decals. I read where some folks only use sewing oil to clean the outside followed by a polish, Turtle or TR3. Since the sewing oil doesn't contain a removal chemical (even a mild one), it doesn't turn the decals. This most likely is what I will do, but I need information from folks that have gone through similar situation.

Forgot to mention that most still try to avoid cleaning or polishing over the decals. They use a Q-tip around the decals.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:43 PM

I clean my Featherweights with Carnuba Auto Wax all the time. It does not change the decals on them.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Donna Mare

Bo Those were my horses. I used to raise Mini's.... I sure do miss them too.. That was Cloud Dancer and Eric checking out the spring flowers.. If I wasn't all alone, I would have them again. I get concerned if I got sick or something...my dog and cat are inside and less work but ahh , there is something dif about horses..had race horses, riding horses, then went to minis..and drove some too.. They are fantastic .... what more can I say , smiles!!
I would love to have a pair of mini's, but I have too many horses already. I have one pony that I drive. I just sold my horse cart because I don't use it anymore. Yes, I love my horses, I think they are what keeps me sane! I never did the race horse thing, just horse shows! Love your Avatar!

Nancy
Old 01-22-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

I would love to have a pair of mini's, but I have too many horses already. I have one pony that I drive. I just sold my horse cart because I don't use it anymore. Yes, I love my horses, I think they are what keeps me sane! I never did the race horse thing, just horse shows! Love your Avatar!

Nancy
I love yours! It should be a portait. It really looks like a fantastic picture. I wish mine had been without a background or should say a better background. The kids went up into my flowerbed and I love the expressions on their faces, Eric, the little guy, was asking Cloud Dancer something. I so miss the horses! Maybe someday...... I can still dream. Pssssst..get 2 minis...they eat less than a horse for sure :) and no shoes either!
Old 01-22-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Nancy
Nancy, Are your horses Arabians?
Old 01-22-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight
I clean my Featherweights with Carnuba Auto Wax all the time. It does not change the decals on them.
I think that is because the shellac or varnish hasn't been damaged. Plus, the FWs are younger machines and Singer shellac seems to hold up better from what I have noticed. It could be because of having more layers on them (don't know). I have read that if the shellac is damaged, crackled or bubbled, then while cleaning the decals can quickly turn. This turning of silver doesn't seem to happen during the waxing time.