Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thread >

thread

thread

Old 01-22-2011, 08:51 AM

free thread is free thread -- just be sure the quality was there in the first place. If it's linting, it's losing parts of the thread. On the subject of thread, the companies are becoming quite clever about how they package the thread. Before you disregard the more expensive threads (I use Superior Masterpiece for piecing and binding), look at the $ per yard or meter. It truly isn't that much more expensive per unit when buying a 3000 yd @ $22 cone. In many brands that's 5 spools at $5 a spool. No savings there. I use mostly pale green or pale gray -- and Masterpiece doesn't lint! When I was doing a project for which I needed to match a thread with a color I didn't have, I was shocked at how little thread comes even on larger spools and small cones. Their packaging is quite deceiving. Buyer beware!
Old 01-22-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by pjaco
I lost my Mother alittle over 3 years ago and was left with lots of mixed thread...LOTS. Not high quality thread, well some are coats & clark. Not sure what to do with it. Been using some in the bobbin. Trying not to gross out my new machine...
Here is how to test out your thread to see if it has gone rotten. cut an 18 length and twist the ends around your index fingers a couple of times so you can get some tension on the thread. Pull your fingers apart so you can get a taught line of thread between them. Give it a couple good tugs, to "pop" the thread. If it breaks, don't use it, if not then you are probably good to go.

P.S. Coats and Clark is a good cotton wrapped thread and will sew up fine. You don't need specialty thread for everything. This from a woman who has a wall of threads....oye ve!
Old 01-22-2011, 09:41 AM

I bought a wonderful Singer, circa 1950 ish, at a wonderful price and she will only let me use Sylko, which is the older Coats n Clark's cottons. These were discontinued years ago but fortunately I can still get hold of them via EBay etc; and there is nothing wrong with the thread at all.

IMO, and many other quilters, it was the finest sewing thread ever made, so much so that Coats have bought it back as "Coats cotton" it's expensive and IMO nowhere near as good as the original. So hang on to them and use them on special quilts.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:42 AM

My mother just down sized and gifted me with tons of sewing thread. I am using it to piece my quilts together and then I purchase new cotton thread for the quilting designs. That way I have a part of her in my quilts too.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:47 AM

I have a stash of thread too some from a sister that was an avid quilter,sewer some from a yard sale with boxes of bargains etc. If it is a wooden spool and hundred percent cotton would be afraid of the strength, if it is a plastic spool with some poliester I have used lots on the bobbin I still try to use newer on top spool and have not had a problem with bronken seams. I like the new threads coming out that are marked for hand quilters to use for the hand hem on bindings I find it does not knot as badly and I am sure is much better for the hand quilter also.I also hem with a small between needle just like quilters use.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:30 AM

My sewing machine is a Pfaff about 20 years old.I have found linty thread does make the machine need more cleaning. I treasure my machine and take good care of it. I found a braqnd that is less linty and I use it. Some threads are more pricey but I fiqure this machine will be the last one I buy. Especially since I do not Lottery tickets.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:31 AM

My sewing machine is a Pfaff about 20 years old.I have found linty thread does make the machine need more cleaning. I treasure my machine and take good care of it. I found a brand that is less linty and I use it. Some threads are more pricey but I fiqure this machine will be the last one I buy. Especially since I do not Lottery tickets.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:52 AM

I love old thread because I do a lot of applique work. I can go to my old thread boxes (organized by colors and shades) and find almost any color I want. Who wants to go buy a whole spool just for a tiny part of the quilt applique. Some quilts have been around for countless years and their thread is fine. I love being able to get all the cool effects from using just the right colors.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:33 PM

I read once that you can revive old thread by putting in the freezer for a while. Take it out, and when it "thaws" it will absorb moisture and be OK again. Haven't tried it, so I can't speak from personal experience. Sounds plausible, however.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:51 PM

I would use it. If you have trouble with a particular spool, either toss it or donate it.