Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you guys get your DHs to USE the quilt ya made them?? >

How do you guys get your DHs to USE the quilt ya made them??

How do you guys get your DHs to USE the quilt ya made them??

Old 01-22-2011, 11:55 AM

Is there someone in the family or a friend he would like to pass them on too? I believe quilts should be used, and if he won't maybe he could find a suitable home for them. Keep making them, though. He may find himself in a situation where he needs them due to an illness (Please God, NO!) or some such situation. Others in the family may just be thrilled to have them. Have you made the kids any?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:16 PM

I am not with it when it comes to knowing what DH and HP mean. I am guessing it means something about a husband but since I haven't had one for years, I just can't make it out. Help.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:22 PM

I am happy to say that all my quilts are in use.My brother and his wife each have one that is, my son in Co has several, from me and from his wifes family, the gransD have one or two,I am waiting for a box to be mail to nephew and wife with their quilt. I had to laugh about the "is he saving it for his next wife "bit. I took a quilt with me to my ex when we were trying the should we get back together thing.It did not work and I came home. The quilt stayed, now he is married to someone else(the old man can't be alone,HAHA) and he is no doubt using that quilt to cover her too.!!!I don't mind tho , better the quilt than me there,one more example of you can't go back to what was, you must go forward and be happy with your life.I have.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:28 PM

Well if he is taking them out to check on them he must care about them. some people are under the impression that quilts are to delicate to use. maybe you should take one that you have made for yourself a simply lap quilt and throw it around " on your chair on the floor where ever so he can get the hint. or better yet make him a simple lap quilt " is he a football fan , was he in the service ect. ect. just buy material that has something like that on it that he likes and make a simple lap quilt. Now my hubby wasen't using his either very often and I picked up a couple of those lap throws and he uses it all the time. I am thinking for the same reason I do" is that they are very lightweight and since we are living in n.c. now we don't get as cold as we did when we lived in Idaho. so you might have to take several things into consideration.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:32 PM

I've actually been afraid to make one for my husband, and expressed this to him because he's the type of guy that almost never gets cold, even if here were thrown out stark butt naked outside in below freezing weather. He claims that sometimes he'd like to use a blanket - but leaves them for me because he knows I'm always freezing and I need them more. He is so sweet. I told him though that I would like for him to have one made by me, but only if he was going to use it. I also told him that I would theme it if he would like and to give me some ideas. He said he'd think about it, and let me know what theme he'd prefer.

However, when the other day I approached him about a panel I had found online that would be relevant to his now deceased mother's life interests and that I would like to make a quilt in her memory even though she isn't here to use it, he was very interested in my making one and practically begged me to buy it and give him the finished quilt which he swears he will use proudly. So that's exactly what I intend to do - when the panel finally comes in!

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
- The Creative Seamstress
Old 01-22-2011, 12:50 PM

Have you told him that you made his quilt with love so he would use it and be snuggled all the time? Bet that would make a difference
Old 01-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

SOunds like he likes it (and what's not to like) and he may shy away from the light colors. In that case, I would take the quilt and in front of him toss it on the floor stomp on it - get off, shake it out, toss it on his lap and say. THERE! Now use the damn thing! Just don't take it in the garage.

It is not a problem at our house. Pat picked the colors and pattern for his and I made him wait a long time. Recently I added a pillow. He loves his "Blankie"
Old 01-22-2011, 01:23 PM

When I see my hubby has decided to take a quick nap, I place the quilt over him and he and it sorta just "settle" in ...
Old 01-22-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by cminor
That is why I sometimes like to think of myself as a blanket maker. I want my quilts used. Here we have 2 small dogs - so you bet they get used! :)
Made one for my grown son for Christmas. He came back and said his dog loves it. He put it on the couch for the dog. Nice dog but I made it to keep son warm. he lives in a house with no heat. I'm having mixed feelings about it. He even complained b4 Christmas that I NEVER made one for him. Oh well...life goes on.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:02 PM

My husband refuses to use anything else, tell him they can be repaired, they are made to be used