Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you guys get your DHs to USE the quilt ya made them?? >

How do you guys get your DHs to USE the quilt ya made them??

How do you guys get your DHs to USE the quilt ya made them??

Old 01-22-2011, 05:19 PM

My DH has 3 quilts that I've made for him, one while we were dating. That one he used a lot, and I've fixed it up a few times. The other two (one my more recent food quilt) he's not using "because it's so big and special and I know how much time and effort went into it" DUH!! I told him I made that for him because I love him and wanted something that he would think was cool and interesting and nice and large to snuggle under. DH is 6'4" so it's a huge quilt (90x90) made for him to cuddle on the couch or bed.

I told him that there will be no more quilts for him until he pulls his head out of his tushy and I get at least one for me.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Power Poster

It sounds like quilts are just not for him.. What does he put over himself when he is cold or watching tv?
Old 01-22-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Annz
It sounds like quilts are just not for him.. What does he put over himself when he is cold or watching tv?
Actually this is exactly why I make him quilts. The one he uses without fail every time he sits down is some $20 Wal-Mart quilt that is so ratty and poorly made, it drives me bonkers he won't part with it. I have even tried bagging it for the trash only to hear him whine cuz he can't find his quilt. grrr! It's so far gone I can't even begin to repair it for him so I make him a new one. Only to have him stick it in the closet. I told him tonight that he likes crap blankets so much, I will just make him a simple crap quilt to replace this ratty thing. He says "Ok but what are you thinking? How bout making this or that design in these colors?" I say ok, but only if you will USE this one. He answered with a shrug and "Depends on how it comes out." :hunf:
Talk about a slap in the face, to me anyways. Tempted right now to make something so close to perfect and show-worthy and tell him he better like it cuz it's for his casket... in the very near future! See what that gets him. :twisted:
Old 01-22-2011, 06:08 PM

Like your Trek quilt. My DH won't use the "junk food" quilt I made him either.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:15 PM

I'm questioning why you made the second one, much less started the third!!! Take them out of the closet and YOU use them!
Old 01-22-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
I'm questioning why you made the second one, much les started the third!!!
Well, each time he promises to use it so I cave in and make it. The first one I really do wish he would toss as it was my very first quilt and looks so terrible(to me). It is queen-size and I used high loft batting and tried to outline stitch each piece. Nothing lined up right and was just not a good way to start quilting. I have not used high-loft batting since then as it was terrible to machine stitch thru! Didn't know at the time that it is used mainly for tie quilts. So, I learned a ton of lessons and just am so embarrassed by the whole thing, to this day.
Sorry for rambling there. The Trek quilt was specially made for him out of his old shirts and is reversible. The back side has more t-shirts and sayings on it as well. He couldn't wait to get it so it kept me going. I did make him a 2nd one last year and after I pieced the top he decided it was just to psychedelic(sp?) for him so middle son snagged it.

I then started a pp Harry Potter quilt for him and am halfway thru it, he decided it is to labor-intensive to be used and informed me it will go with the Trek quilt. Needless to say, put a huge damper on finishing it for me. I really want to replace that ratty nasty looking "thing" he uses now but he refuses to cooperate!
Old 01-22-2011, 06:37 PM

If your husbard takes naps - take one out to put it on him. Or for that matter, use it yourself
Your quilts are just beautiful - he just might be afaid that someone with spill something on it.
DH's are funny that way
Old 01-22-2011, 07:13 PM

Wow! this can get heavy, If they don't want the quilt,just give it to a goodwill or shelter because there are many folks out there that need a quilt in this weather. Also there are many that could use it but are too timid or proud to ask for cover. There is not one child out there somewhere that doesnot need a blankie. I made a number of fleece lap blankets that I gave to the old soldiers home in Amarillo and they were happy to get them, some were quilts with fleece backing instead of batting inside.There was a fire in an apartment building near here that 30 apartments were destroyed and all belonging. Try standing in your stocking feet and shorts in 20 degree cold and watching you apt burn.I have some small quilts and blanket that will go there.so no need to get you drawers in a bunch and try to force the issue. Just give them to someone who really wants them and will love to have one.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Power Poster

Nice quilts. Why not just drape them on the sofa and enjoy them on a chilly evening?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:45 PM

I really didn't want any of my quilts used until we had an ice storm and the whole city was without power for almost a week in sub-zero weather. All my neighbors came begging for quilts to use until they could get power back. I couldn't say no even though it caused me to cringe inside. I just made a list of who had which quilt. But when the power came back on and the quilts found their way home my neighbors had discovered that I did more than make blankets as they thought. They praised my workmanship and color since and told me how wonderful it was to have such beautiful things to curl up and get warm with. A couple of the guys fell so in love with the quilts they borrowed they ended up buying them. And they were nothing more than rail fence quilts made out of husbands old flannel shirts! Now all my quilts get used on a regular basis and I no longer revere the quilts I make. Life is much easier that way.