Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST >

Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST

Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST

Old 01-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Banned

I made orange and grapefruit marmalade today. Tomorrow since it is my cheat day I am making oatmeal scones to have with it. I will figure out the calorie count and post the recipe during the week. I don't have a recipe for oatmeal scones so I have to make it up as I mix it together.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:33 PM

OK, so I just discovered the QB recently and just today saw the weight loss challenge. Will you do this every month or is it just a once-at-the-beginning-of-a-new-year thing?
Old 01-22-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jill
Has anyone done any baking or cooking with Splenda? My husband is a diabetic and I'm trying to cut back on portions, sweets, and junk. Both of us were getting hungry for something sweet and I made some oatmeal cookies, but substituted sugar with Splenda. They were terrible, and I can't even describe the taste. I have heard and read that Splenda can be used in regular recipes in the place of sugar. I tried it one other time in cooking but I can't remember what it was now. I just remember that it did not taste good. Has anyone had success with it?
Jill don't use splenda use STEVIA... a natural sweetener. You don't get the yuck after taste... I use Stevia in the Raw brand ... here is the conversion for Stevia from Sugar
Old 01-22-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Giagia Polly
OK, so I just discovered the QB recently and just today saw the weight loss challenge. Will you do this every month or is it just a once-at-the-beginning-of-a-new-year thing?
giagia Polly... it's open every month... TruPeach1 opens a new thread at the beginning of each month.. You sign in the 1st day of the month. She has when the sign up is closed...
Old 01-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by Cybrarian
Cjmomma you are 45 min. from Paducah!!!!! If I had been a quilter when I was in Louisville I would have been there in a heartbeat. Have you ever been to the quilt show or museum? Would love to go but not in the budget or the calendar. You've got to go to Hancocks so we can live vicariously through you! What am I doing today? Trying to get back on the eating program wagon, cleaning house and washing the dogs... Got to get done so I can go in my sewing room. That's my reward :-).
Sadly I didn't make it to Hancock's. Little man decided to act up when we were in Hobby Lobby (after a day of running around) so we just came home before I went off the deep edge. LOL!
Haven't made it to the quilt show yet but I may try this year.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
No, I have tried Splenda in cooking and it was awful when I used it, too. I made banana bread with it and actually threw the bread out!

I have been reducing the sugar in my recipes by half, some times it works. I also substitute 1/2 applesauce for cooking oil in baking.

Again, sometimes it works.
wow... I've used Splenda in cooking - bread making in the bread machine... and it works for me. I think it works best in foods where you don't use some much sugar to begin with. For instance, I'd prob. not use it to make sugar cookies. But I'd try it for Oatmeal cookies. I've used it in whole wheat or oatmeal bread machine bread making... but I'd not try it in a heavy sweat bread... like banana bread, after reading purplemem's experience!

I use Stevia too. Stevia is different, has more fiber since it's a ground up plant. You have to be really careful, cause it will not dissolve anywhere near as fast as sugar, and it settles to the bottom of whatever wet stuff you mix it in. It also has an aftertaste, but not unpleasant.

One last thing... there are two kinds of Stevia! VERY Important! The stuff you get at the grocery store, is made with fillers so that a single pack of Stevia about equals the sweetness of a packet of sugar. BUT BUT BUT!!!! If you get your Stevia powder from a health food store, it's not cut.. it's full strength. And let me tell you... less than a 32nd of a teaspoon, a small dusting... is enough to over sweeten a tall glass of iced tea. It's really, really potent.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I tried to read all that I missed today but I am so tired I can't remember any of it. ;/
We had a big day that started out great but towards the end I was so aggrevated with little man that all I wanted to do was come home. Now I remember why I don't go anywhere and just stay home. Sometimes it is so not worth it.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:52 AM

Way to go Tru! Doing a happy dance for you.

Sandy I'm sorry they havn't found James. I will continue to pray for all your family.

Carrie I'm sorry you didn't get to Hancock's The little ones can handle just so much running around. Hope you get there next time.

Missy I'm so excited about your surgery. I hope all goes well and you can get it done soon.

Still cold here still walking with my studs and yes I am being careful I can still slip even with the studs. I can't afford a fall it would really set me back.
My DDL is doing so well she has lost 8lbs. so far this month. I want to be able to keep walking with her.

Goodnight all.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:40 PM

I just finished my exercise for the day. I bought this DVD last week. I was not hard but it was not without effort. I had a hard time with the leg exercises but the upper body was not so difficult. I will add hand weights as I do this dvd for added resistance. I think eventually I will do better with the lower body stuff. I think if I did this every day that I will see a difference sooner rather than later.

If you have trouble standing or doing regular exercise classes I recommend this.

Missy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-166338.jpe
Views:	85
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	166343  
Old 01-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Banned

a day without electric. we didn't have a snow storm but the power went out. There were not oatmeal scones for breakfast. It is freezing in the house even with a fire going. Power just came back on a few minutes ago. I couldn't cook. Actually I could have if I wanted to cook in the fireplace which I have done before. So I now have a spinach lasagna in the oven and I made canoli's for dessert. They are yummo and low cal. each mini canoli tube is only 30 calories. It uses only about a tablespoon of filling so it is a total of about 45 caloties for 1. I can have 2 for dessert.......yummmmmmoooooo.