Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Muslin backing for log cabin blocks? >

Muslin backing for log cabin blocks?

Muslin backing for log cabin blocks?

Old 01-22-2011, 08:31 PM

May in Jersey, your suggestion of making the last two strips bigger when making a log cabin block. I have made two of these quilts and no matter how careful I am, there is always a few blocks that don't line up, your suggestion should take care of that problem.. That is what I love about this board, you can always find something that you didn't know.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:15 AM

I made a series of civil war quilts a couple of years ago. I used muslin backing on a few of the quilts. I found the quilts with backing were easier to assemble and when quilted the had a far better look or quality to them. They are the quilts that sold. If making a log cabin quilt, I would definately use the muslin backing. Remember to trim the cornors to reduce bulk. You'll be glad you did.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:59 AM

For LC quilts whose logs are bigger than 3/4" I never use foundation. I tried making a Christmas wallhanging - a star made up from 16 LCblocks - with 3/4" logs and my blocks were so wobbly - didn't have a walking foot then. So resorted to muslin, ironed onto freezer paper and printed my templates off the computer. Much easier - stiffer yes but that didn't matter for this particular project but I wouldn't like to make a throw or a bed quilt.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by litacats
my first log cabin I did was a quilt as you go using 3 layers. 6 in total to get the layers going. you do have to press as you go but it was so quick even the blocks I put inbetween the log cabins where quilt as you go once you made the strips of blocks it was easy to quilt as you go and it all came to gether very nicely.
:lol: Where did you find the pattern for a quilt as you go? I am almost finished with my regular LC and that sounds like something that I would like to try. I would like to compare the two. Doing the blocks was easy. I used Eleanor Burns book. The hardest thing for me is attaching the backing. It's hard when you live in a small space. Looking forward to the answer from anyone.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:32 PM

I just finished piecing a log cabin top and I just sewed the strips together-it was my first log cabin and I had heard there were issues with the squares coming out even I was very careful with my seam allowances and had no problem at all with squaring up.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Bev

I don't use muslin OR PP. Why is it necessary?
Old 01-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Bev

I don't use muslin OR PP. Why is it necessary?
Old 01-28-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by MarlysB
I made a series of civil war quilts a couple of years ago. I used muslin backing on a few of the quilts. I found the quilts with backing were easier to assemble and when quilted the had a far better look or quality to them. They are the quilts that sold. If making a log cabin quilt, I would definately use the muslin backing. Remember to trim the cornors to reduce bulk. You'll be glad you did.
Do you mean you stitched the 'logs' onto a muslin foundation and then finished them with batting & backing?