Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Darling? Husband >

My Darling? Husband

My Darling? Husband

Old 01-22-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jill
Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Sorry to hear that Dianne. I have a theory about marriages. I think that every couple needs 3 hobbies between them. One for him. One for her. And one for both of them to enjoy together.

Try to engage him in a hobby that you can enjoy together!!

oh, yeah, we do that. I just love looking at tools at Sears!
NOT!
I looked at tools at Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. until I could take it no longer! I finally said I'll be glad to go with you to those stores but I will not be spending time looking at tools. Unless they've started selling quilting tools, which they haven't.
Funny thing, he no longer wants to go to Harbor Freight since the last time I found a couple rotary blades.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by diannemc
Oh my goodness! I hope there aren't alot of men in the dog house because of my post..
In his defense DH is a good man and makes a good living for us. For that I love him so much..and for the most part get along great.. I was just trying to get to the root of why he doesn't like my quilting?? Or anything I do for that fact. If I liked TV I would not mind sitting with him..But just because I don't like it why do I have to just sit there!! Like this morning I went in a sat down with him and started talking to him all I got was shaaaa.. I can't hear the TV...I am not one who has a large stash of fabric and don't spend a lot money on fabric or anything so can't be the money...
I am going sit down with him and ask him this weekend. To be continued.........
Dianne, they put themselves in the dog house. You're innocent.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:56 PM
cae

mine complains i have quilting everywhere in our home!!!! but he does compliment me and is proud of my accomplishments....so I fix him good meals!!!!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by cae
mine complains i have quilting everywhere in our home!!!! but he does compliment me and is proud of my accomplishments....so I fix him good meals!!!!
I fix hubby breakfast, pack his lunch and fix supper. Compliment? Forget it.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:35 PM

I sure can't kick, I've never fixed a meal that he doesn't say thank you afterwards. Men & women are just on different wavelengths, I don't understand interest in sports or auto mechanics either. If I happen to ask how a certain object works I'm in for a complete and I mean COMPLETE explanation.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:43 PM

My husband also does nothing but watch TV.Drives me crazy.
But my quilting keeps me away from him and he can watch what he wants. Linda Irene
Old 01-22-2011, 08:50 PM

My husband supports my quilting hobby. He even wants to quilt on the long arm. He likes quilt shows but doesn't care for fabric stores. He gritches about my stash all of the time. If he likes the quilts and wants to make some himself, why does hate my stash so much? I posted about mystash on another thread. He supports everything about the quilting but my fabric bugs the heck out of him. He even helped me fix cabinets and little bolt boards to wrap my fabric on, with enthusiam might I add. He has his intrestes to keep him busy all day and most of the nite. It is me who asks him to watch tv programs with me. I spend my own money on my habit. I paid for the longarm with the money my dad left me (not much but enough for the machine) then I spent money I had saved for a long time for the larger frame. I work as a substitute and as a home health care giver to support my habit. He resents the nites I spend doing the caregiver gigs because he doesn't like for me to be away from home at nite. What the heck? He doesn't spend that time with me anyhow. But he has taught me to keep myself happy because of his habit of being involved with his own interests. Dr Phil says people teach people how to treat them.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dee
My DH has supported my sewing, quilting and all the crafts for 46 years. He has never grumped about it. He is happy because I'm happy.
Wonderful for you. My DH always tells me that if I'm happy - he is happy. It works both ways for us.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:03 AM

I say "If momma ain't happy no one is happy" :lol: Do what you enjoy. He will get over it hopefully - maybe make him a throw for when he is watching tv or a quilted caddy for his remotes etc. I have been married to a wonderful guy for over 31 years...he has his hobbies and I have mine. we have always understood that each of us need time away from each other doing things we enjoy. We also share some hobbies and find time for those too which helps tremedously. He likes the quilting alot better than my other hobbies - I love to gamble - at least with the quilting I have something to show for it lol take care and keep on sewing...cheryl :-D
Old 01-23-2011, 02:48 AM

Well, I suggest you tell your husband that you could always find another HOBBY....try hunting, boating, etc....Unfortunately, sometimes we aren't appreciated for the things we do, only not appreciated for the things they would like us to do....tell him he could have a wife like MemePeggy from Texas....on predisone and has a bad back...then he might realize how fortunate he is...My husband of 26 years is very supporative, but he is also a boater and fisherman...has lots of toys, so in comparison, quilting isn't so expensive...I am still amazed at how much it does cost to enjoy this hobby...but you are worth it and so is your relationship...or at least he should think so..now that I am thru VENTING....good luck...memepeggy