Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mixing White and Cream >

Mixing White and Cream

Mixing White and Cream

Old 01-23-2011, 12:41 PM

I mix them, especially when I want to see a little difference in background blocks and still stick with absence of color.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by KSCrafter
I've been working on a scrap quilt with dark prints and off-white (or cream-based) lights. I'm going to make another scrap quilt and would like to hear opinions on mixing whites and creams for the light portions of quilts. Is that a no-no? Or is it okay? In the quilt I made, some of the creams were prints with bits of color on them- little swirls of blue, or pink flowers- but I didn't mix them with white.

What do you prefer?
I personally love the look of whites and creams mixed in a quilt. I think it gives it more depth. I do it all the time.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:41 PM

I like the looks of using both. I do it in many of my scrap quilts. :thumbup:
Old 01-23-2011, 04:01 PM

I too would go with one color or the other, if you mix, your ratio would have to be almost even in the use of color so it won't look off. That is my opinion.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:09 PM

I LOOOOOOOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:58 PM
mac

Alex Anderson did a quilt called "Pushing Neutrals" and it is full of creams and whites - no real colors just different shades of tone on tone creams and whites. Her quilting was spectacular and the quilt was quite beautiful. It was one of her earlier quilts. I've seen it many times as she belongs to our guild. (Ever notice how some people start out great and just keep getting better as time goes on?)

Besides a well-known quilter using creams and whites - the one thing that I always believe is this:

There are no rules in quilting other than making 1/4 inch seams and closing your rotary cutter after each use. Other than that, if it looks good together and you like - it works.

To make my point even pointier: Remember when the quilt judges turned their noses up to machine-quilting? Then along came Harriet Hargrave with her fantastic machine-quilted quilts, who one blue ribbons for her work, and suddenly everyone was standing in line learning to machine quilt. Now most of the quilts in a quilt show are machine-quilted verses hand-quilted.

The rules change all of the time, so why not get to the front of the line and start your way of doing it? Who knows you might become an 'well-known' quilter yourself!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:58 PM

I mix them most of the time. Think in terms of "value". If you have ever used a Jelly Roll, there is a mix of lights, mediums and darks. IMHO it makes the quilt more interesting - visual texture. Gramily
Old 01-23-2011, 07:23 PM

often times when you mix white with off white it can make the off white seem dingy or soiled....so I would be careful.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:51 PM

In scrap quilts, you can use white, cream, tan, etc. And usually, you can use other light colors, too. They're all mixed up, so it doesn't matter.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:07 PM

Alex Anderson has a book of neutral quilts and although they are subtle they are pretty. I think she mixes all sorts of neutrals together.