Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WIP & UFO Challenge, are you game? >

WIP & UFO Challenge, are you game?

WIP & UFO Challenge, are you game?

Old 01-23-2011, 07:34 AM
jme

Today I am working on a quilt I started for my daughter. It is a mix of 9p blocks and appliqued chicks. I have one more chick to embroider the wing, feet and beak on then I can start adding the borders.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:54 AM

I'm in too. Except for any classes I might take, I will work on stuff in progress. My problem is I finish a quilt top or runner, and then it sits because I hate FMQ and suck at it quite frankly. I have 4 quilt tops that need to be finished and 2 table runners along with a block of the month that needs to be assembled and 3 more working this year.

I'm also thinking of taking a Judy Neimeyer paper piecing class in June too. It's expensive though and not sure if money will be there to do it. The pattern alone is 36 bucks.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by michelehuston
I have a question...I have purchased fabric for a couple of quilts but officially not started them, do they count as wips?
Hi michelehuston! Yes, they do count as wips, and if you've stored them in grocery sacks...then maybe also count as PIGs (projects in grocery sacks) LOL! So they too should be 'on your list'.
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 01-23-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by mhansen6
I am in sort of. Last weekend I cleaned my sewing room and found a lot of UFO. I told myself that I am not going to start anything new until I get these finished. My problem is that I work full time and I don't always get into the sewing room everyweek. So posting progress reports is going to be difficult. But I will try. Today I am going to finish putting on the binding for a Quilts-For-Kids. Then if I have time finish a bow tucks bag that is 80% done.
A big welcome to a busy member...mhansen6! Yes, I too work- not 1, but 2 full time jobs <gasp>. So I too am in the same boat as you! However, this thread has helped me realign my priorities and get things done! Part of the battle is to know exactly what you're up against, or go over your 'inventory' of ufo's and make a list, knock them out in the order of least amount of work to finish....and the battle will be won! We are all on a 'fabric diet' of sorts as well. No buying new fabric! Exceptions are: fabric needed to complete ufo's...ie, backing, binding, etc. This is not a 'race', so work on your ufo's as you can. As for me with 2 full time jobs....I'm praying for more snow days without power outages.....I can get things done then! :-)
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 01-23-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by MaryAnna
Originally Posted by michelehuston
I have a question...I have purchased fabric for a couple of quilts but officially not started them, do they count as wips?
Hi michelehuston! Yes, they do count as wips, and if you've stored them in grocery sacks...then maybe also count as PIGs (projects in grocery sacks) LOL! So they too should be 'on your list'.
Blessings,
MaryAnna
In my sewing studio if it's not actually started yet it's still just fabric. Until I put the cutter to the fabric I can always change my mind and use it for something else, which I have done.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by jme
Today I am working on a quilt I started for my daughter. It is a mix of 9p blocks and appliqued chicks. I have one more chick to embroider the wing, feet and beak on then I can start adding the borders.
jme, that sounds adorable! I can't wait to see it done! I'm a big lover of chickens, chicks, and birds.you're getting those quilts done! Hurray!
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 01-23-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
I'm in too. Except for any classes I might take, I will work on stuff in progress. My problem is I finish a quilt top or runner, and then it sits because I hate FMQ and suck at it quite frankly. I have 4 quilt tops that need to be finished and 2 table runners along with a block of the month that needs to be assembled and 3 more working this year.

I'm also thinking of taking a Judy Neimeyer paper piecing class in June too. It's expensive though and not sure if money will be there to do it. The pattern alone is 36 bucks.
A big Welcome to Jamiestitcher62! Sounds like you've got a plan and that's half the battle...so you're well on your way to success! I'm not very good at FMQ either, but there's so much you can do with a walking foot, or even your regular foot. I either need to write a book, or at least do a tute one day on this very subject! You can do circles with a regular foot, just use a bowl, biscuit cutter, glass..you get the idea...use as a template and mark your quilt, then just follow the lines! Many sewing machine companies offer a 'circle foot' attachment that you can purchase if you'd like that route. You can also do vines with a walking foot or regular foot, just draw freehand and follow the lines, and yes you can even do leaves as well. I'll use my applique foot a lot because it's clear and I can easily see my marked designs to follow. And let's not forget all the great grid patterns you can do as well with your walking foot. Basically the only thing you can't do is stippling or meandering unless you do FMQ!
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 01-23-2011, 10:38 AM

Ok All here's an updated list of our members, so far there's 40 of us brave souls:
MaryAnna
S D G
Sadiemae
Cyn
Irishrose
Patty Patches
Sonisew
Patti Sue
Chigger Holler Quilter
leatheflea
Connie_1936
Kyiav10
Scissor Queen
manyana
Miss Purple Shoes
JulieM
michelehuston
CKcowl
Tolelady53
Sewwhat85
jaciqltzok
quiltinghere
kima
sueisallaboutquilts
Shawnemily
midwestqltr
omak
jme
Pdlink
LoveBug
Kateyb
montanajan
zennia
shawnan
IndyQuilter
Jennifer22206
okiepastor
bamamama
mhansen6
Jaimestitcher62

How does the last day (or last Friday night) of every month sound for an 'all night PJ party?' Or you can pick a better night, just let me know. we'll quilt away the night in comfort!

Blessings to all,
MaryAnna

Another Update!
Old 01-23-2011, 10:49 AM

In my sewing studio if it's not actually started yet it's still just fabric. Until I put the cutter to the fabric I can always change my mind and use it for something else, which I have done.[/quote]

Great point Scissor Queen! It's all in the matter of how you look at things, or organize them....you could always work the fabric back into your stash and no one be the wiser! But then again, the WIPS would turn into WHIMMS and haunt you in your dreams until you got them done! So it's best to just go ahead and get them done, if truly you love to do the quilt.
Along Scissor Queen's vein of thinking....there's nothing wrong with changing courses with quilts. Maybe when you bought the fabric & pattern you were in love with it...but now..not so much. So do you 'bite the bullet' and go ahead with it all and hate the project? or would it be better to change patterns, or if it's the fabric, change fabric and use the 'now ugly' fabric for scrappy quilting?
I say life is too short to be stuck doing a project we hate....so changing course (pattern or fabric) might be in order.
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 01-23-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by MaryAnna
Originally Posted by mhansen6
I am in sort of. Last weekend I cleaned my sewing room and found a lot of UFO. I told myself that I am not going to start anything new until I get these finished. My problem is that I work full time and I don't always get into the sewing room everyweek. So posting progress reports is going to be difficult. But I will try. Today I am going to finish putting on the binding for a Quilts-For-Kids. Then if I have time finish a bow tucks bag that is 80% done.
A big welcome to a busy member...mhansen6! Yes, I too work- not 1, but 2 full time jobs <gasp>. So I too am in the same boat as you! However, this thread has helped me realign my priorities and get things done! Part of the battle is to know exactly what you're up against, or go over your 'inventory' of ufo's and make a list, knock them out in the order of least amount of work to finish....and the battle will be won! We are all on a 'fabric diet' of sorts as well. No buying new fabric! Exceptions are: fabric needed to complete ufo's...ie, backing, binding, etc. This is not a 'race', so work on your ufo's as you can. As for me with 2 full time jobs....I'm praying for more snow days without power outages.....I can get things done then! :-)
Blessings,
MaryAnna
FINISHED ONE! I finished the binding on the Quilt for Kids. Worked a little on the bow tucks, but now it is time to pay bills, do laundry, go to the grocery store and do all that stuff to get ready for the new work week starting tomorrow.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Marie