Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New craft room >

New craft room

New craft room

Old 01-24-2011, 08:29 PM

Oh and do not forget room for a large, quilt-sized iron board.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:39 PM

My hubby is building me a room, too. I was wondering about the lights...can lights or flourescent?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:00 PM

Me too Judy. Its warm and cozy and easy on the knees when I want to spread my quilt out on the floor to be sandwiched.
Originally Posted by judy_68
I know most people don't like carpet in their sewing rooms but I love mine. I would never go without carpet in mine. Just my preference.
Judy
Old 01-24-2011, 10:36 PM

Lighting is important. My room has no overhead lights, I just have several lamps and sure wish I have more light as I work during the day so do most of my sewing at night. A design wall that is mounted on the wall - I bought one of those on a frame and it works but is not very sturdy and takes up a lot of space in the middle of my room. A large ironing surface, mine is 24" x 60". Sure makes ironing easier. And, lots and lots of storage space.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:58 AM

I bought one of these books (well so called books) a couple of years ago now and was so disappointed as when it came it was nothing more than a two sided piece of cardboard sort of thing with a few suggestions on it. Was very disappointed and quite cross at having spent so much for very little.

Am really enjoying reading all the suggestions though.

Maybe1day
Old 01-25-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by thequilteddove
Lessons learned: I was try'n to save money when hubby built my room...
1. We bought regular kitchen cabinets & counter tops. I didn't stop to think about how a kitchen counter is way higher than a sewing table. I tried using a drafting chair, but w/a carpet floor it was a royal pain! So now I do all my sew'n standing up! I've learned to like it :)
2. We used about half the basement... omg we should have used it all! There's never enough space.
3. The basement floor is not level, so we decided to carpet. It's beautiful. However, I'm a swifter kinda gal. I can swift my upstairs floors every day, but for some reason I don't seem to like to vacuum... but with that said, carpet is warmer for your tootsies than tile :)
4. If you buy batting by the roll, use closet bracets to store them.
5. An area for a design wall is a must! I hate that I don't have enough wall space or floor space to lay out my blocks. I have a solution in my mind, I just haven't implemented it yet. My solution is to make a design wall that functions like a rollup window shade. It will go in front of my fabric closets :)
6. If your a thread junkie like me. My cupboards have pull out shelves in them. There are two shelves, I wish there were three. I have a solution :) I'm gonna buy another pull out shelf and bat my eyes at my hubby to fix the shelves in my cupboard lol
7. I have a nice peg board. But you know I need a bigger one! And yes I have a solution! lol
8. Lighting! I don't have any windows. Although my 'studio' is lovely, this is my #1 complaint. I do have track lighting, but it still seems to never be bright enough for me!
What are closet brackets? Do you hang your batting form the ceiling?
Old 01-25-2011, 08:18 AM

How about using bed risers? I use IKEA table legs that are adjustable.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:32 PM

Great planning!!
Originally Posted by VickiM
Originally Posted by rosalyne
Go to your lumber yard and buy two bottom cabinets. buy and unfinished door (no holes) and cover it. Place the door over tthe cabinets which are at each end. Now you can cut and you will also have storage even underneath the door top.
I found 2 kitchen cabinets that were a lower height than the higher cabinets at a thriftshop for $10 each, also found a door for $5, covered the door with vinyl ($15). I have lots of storage & room for machines & computer. The cutting table I got from another thrift shop years ago for $25. I recycle wherever I can, used dressers & shelving for $10, whatever I could find. Anyway, here's some pics of the cabinets & door...the cabinet on the left right is moved in some, makes it very sturdy, I wouldn't want my machines crashing!
Old 01-25-2011, 03:18 PM

The other thing that will give you great size for ironing & not take up extra room is that I have an ironing pad that fits on my cutting table...that's for the quilts. I have another ironing surface on the counter area for all the rest of the ironing. Neither take up space, double duty areas are the best!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:59 PM
JT

One suggestion I haven't seen is making sure that the height of your sewing table is correct. Go and sit at sewing tables in stores, and keep in mind the height of your machine. We redid my sewing room last year and adjusted my counter down about 3 inches. It makes a world of difference in shoulder pain.

Also, try to plan some small drawers into your plan. There are so many little things that can be kept in order with drawers, like note pads, calculator, ruler, extra bobbins, safety pins...etc. Have fun planning and creating your dream room.