Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash Organizing Question >

Stash Organizing Question

Stash Organizing Question

Old 01-24-2011, 09:37 PM

I sort my blenders and batiks by color, then prints, stripes, children's fabrics, blacks, whites and neutrals. :-D
Old 01-24-2011, 10:29 PM

Organize? Sort my fabric? I'm not sure I would be able to function if that happened! LOL
Old 01-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Power Poster

I go by what I would use together so I have Hawaiian, batik, civil war, 30-s, Australian, bugs, fish, I have several bins with mostly tone on tone type that are FQ arranged by color, a bin with some larger pieces for backing and then kits I either bought or made myself.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:33 PM

I sort fabrics that are mostly one color or one color with just a touch of another color by the main color. Then I sort others by children's prints, western and southwestern (a big stack for me), orientals, I love polka dots so have a big stack of just polka dots, stripes, bright geometrics (swirls, squares, etc.) holidays of course, black and white, black, red and white, flannels are kept separately as are fat quarters and scraps. Oh, also have a tub of patriotic (red, white and blue) fabric. Florals are separate. I love cats and sunflowers so those each have their own tub. Oh, and stars are in two tubs. Can you tell that I have a huge stash?
Old 01-24-2011, 10:46 PM

Type, then print size and color. Also by project, of course.

Ex.
Civil War> large check> dark blue.
30's> tiny dots> primarily light green.

I have bins, project cases and shelves.

If I had a larger stash, I would also organize by print type. Floral, dots, checks, stripes, panels, etc.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by PJL
Originally Posted by dar627742
istarted sorting out my stash ,too[must be catching !]then i remember reading about using cardboard not being a good idea. the cardboard i'm using is cut down from the bolts the fabric is wrapped on in the fabric shops,do you think this would be ok ? if not ,it figures that i'd actually get ambitious enough to do this,then find out i'll have to re-do it all HELP!!!
dar
I used fabric shop cardboard bolts and found if I kept the fabric on them too long, the fabric got white faded lines on the spots that went "around" the edges of the boards. Maybe the cardboard is treated with something that causes that, or maybe isn't treated with whatever is supposed to stop that from happening. I figure it doesn't happen in fabric stores because the fabric gets sold quick enough? Anyway, now I'm using boards I bought from polarnotions.com. that I saw advertised in a quilting magazine. Haven't had them long enough to say if anything goes wrong yet but they're nice boards and makes my quilting room look like a fabric shop. Easier to see the fabric choices I have.

I think the plastic bins I was using gave my fabrics a funny odor. Maybe the type I have are too airtight like someone else mentioned. Anyway the odor is hard to get rid of so I don't use those any more.
thanx for the info,i'll definately look for something else to use.
thanx again,dar
Old 01-24-2011, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by PJL
Originally Posted by QM
I forgot to say that I have a FQ drawer, a bin for larger scraps, a mini bin each for squares of 2.5", 3.5, 4, 4.5 5.5 and 6" precuts and one labeled long skinny (scraps).

The FQ drawer needs major refolding at the moment.

Do you keep only squares? How about rectangles?

So let's say you have a 7" leftover piece. Do you trim that to a 6" square, or into two 3.5" squares? How do you decide? This is something I struggle with obviously.
I cut mine into the largest square. Most of mine are 5" or smaller. I can always cut them smaller if I need them for a specific project. The smallest squares I ahve a 1" but I find I don't use them very much. I have more 2 to 3-1/2 inch squares thatn any other size even after making a queen size quilt with all the scraps.

I store mine in baggies by size and in darks and lights (if there enough to warrant separating them.) The baggies are in a plastic bin labelled SCRAPS. It took a long time to get them cut. I started out just putting them, uncut, into a plastic bin. Now I cut them during or right after I finish a project.

I also have a bin of strips left from making bindings.

It sure is fun hearing how everyone organizes their stash.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:44 AM

I don't have a large stash although it is growing yearly.

At the moment I have all mine folded in clear plastic totes as I have no where else to put it and certainly no where to store where I can see what it is. I have all my fabrics which I have bought with something in mind, bundled together in large brown paper bags with the pattern or book with the pattern in it for each project in mind. That way I will know what the fabric was intended for and wont use it on something else.

So love hearing or seeing what others are doing with their stash as it gives me lots of ideas.

Maybe1day :lol:
Old 01-25-2011, 07:33 AM
PJL

[/quote]I cut mine into the largest square. Most of mine are 5" or smaller. I can always cut them smaller if I need them for a specific project. The smallest squares I ahve a 1" but I find I don't use them very much. I have more 2 to 3-1/2 inch squares thatn any other size even after making a queen size quilt with all the scraps.

I store mine in baggies by size and in darks and lights (if there enough to warrant separating them.) The baggies are in a plastic bin labelled SCRAPS. It took a long time to get them cut. I started out just putting them, uncut, into a plastic bin. Now I cut them during or right after I finish a project.

I also have a bin of strips left from making bindings.

It sure is fun hearing how everyone organizes their stash.[/quote]

I thought maybe if I cut scraps for just 30 minutes an evening eventually I'll get to the bottom of the pile. I have begun cutting the scraps from current projects as I work on them, but still have a lot of scraps from previous projects just sitting there. Time will help, I hope.

I agree, it is interesting to read other people's stash organizing methods.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:23 AM

I have three dressers in the shed, four huge tubs in the house and a bookshelf in my sewing room full of fabric. I go by color, type of material, then whatever I pawed through last! I volunteer at a thrift shop, so whenever they get ANY kind of cotton material I bring it home! Any material I bought for a project goes in a cloth bag with the pattern for the quilt. Fortunatley my husband never complains! (he collects miniatures for a war game, lol) Chantel