Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting gloves >

cutting gloves

cutting gloves

Old 01-25-2011, 12:06 AM

Cowardy custards. I'd soon lose them as I get messier and messier as I go through the day on a project.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:36 AM

I've never even considered looking for one. I've more important things to spend the money on!
Old 01-25-2011, 02:39 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I think these are called Klutz gloves? I wouldn't use one, I don't use my FMQ gloves either or gloves to garden. I like to have the full use and feeling in my fingers. Maybe for ppl with issues in their hands they're a good idea but otherwise I think it's better to just BE CAREFUL! Health and safety goes nuts sometimes IMO. LOL
Old 01-25-2011, 04:38 AM

I've never seen any other well-known quilters use the glove. I'm not sure why Fons and Porter started to do it, unless it's their invention and they are trying to sell them.
I would never wear one. I've been using a rotary cutter since it came out and I've never cut myself.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:39 AM

I have always lived on the wild side and not used gloves.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

i helped out in a little local quilt shop a few years ago and one of the women there always used the cutting glove too....(and this was before Fons & porter came out with theirs) she wouldn't pick up a rotory cutter without the glove on. i tried it once, found it to be a bit 'bulky', hot and i thought i had a bigger chance of a bad cut with it on than without, so i never took the plunge of purchase. i know a couple people who really should wear them though...the ones who are always rushing- not paying attention and have 2-4 fingers with stitches all the time. I do practice safety but for me anyway, the glove was not a safe option.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:09 AM

I have the glove but don't use it for myself. My two DDs (ages 6 and 8) have their own rotary cutter so I insist they use it for themselves. My youngest is the first person to look up from cutting when she hears the cat cry or some other sound. I do use the FMQ gloves but I have arthritis and find if I don't, I wouldn't get far without crippling pain.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:32 AM

I've been quilting for a very long time, have seen many, really nasty accidents from rotary cutters.

Accidents by long time quilters, not newbies.

I'm wearing the Klutz glove because it gives you some protection, it's not cut proof!

I'm also looking in to the O-Lipfa safety guard. You attach it to your ruler. It has a "little wall" going up, so you won't be able to cut yourself.

I think it will give you the most protection for your hands. A wonderful tool to have, if you teach children and beginners how to rotary cut. Or you just to have if you love your fingers!

I can see myself getting really sweaty and hot, should I see my finger laying on the cutting board, or still hanging on a little piece of skin. :mrgreen:
Old 01-25-2011, 07:42 AM

If you are really a Klutz, well then yes, wear one. But I've never felt the need to wear one, have always respected the fact that the blade really dangerous, and am very careful when I cut. I've even yelled at my husband not to interupt me, or startle me when I'm using it!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:43 AM

I forgot to add that a friend of mine uses one and she was appalled that I did not use one. She doesn't even do a lot of quilting and if she does, one Q at a time and buys fabric only for the project doing - no real stash.

I agree with some of you that distractions seem to cause the most accidents - (cats are real culprits here LOL) - like briefly looking up when cutting or glancing away when running fabric thru machine and getting hit with needle! I worry more about getting a broken needle in my eye than cutting my fingers I guess - do enuf finger cutting in the kitchen!