Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting gloves >

cutting gloves

cutting gloves

Old 01-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

well they try to sell those!!
Old 01-25-2011, 12:13 PM

I've thought about getting them but there is always something else I want more. I'm very careful by nature & haven't been cut yet! Knock ON Wood. :0
Old 01-25-2011, 06:26 PM

I should say that while my girls use the Klutz glove, they have their own rulers and each one has either a built in lip for safety or I've added the O-Lipfa safety lip. They, praise God, have never had an accident but when the rotary cutter slips, it hits the lip and hasn't actually come into contact with the glove but it's there, just the same. And, whenever they're using their rotary cutters, this overly cautious/worrisome mama is standing right behind and over them to catch the ruler or blade if it slips.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:00 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ps 150
I should say that while my girls use the Klutz glove, they have their own rulers and each one has either a built in lip for safety or I've added the O-Lipfa safety lip. They, praise God, have never had an accident but when the rotary cutter slips, it hits the lip and hasn't actually come into contact with the glove but it's there, just the same. And, whenever they're using their rotary cutters, this overly cautious/worrisome mama is standing right behind and over them to catch the ruler or blade if it slips.
:-D What a good idea to use a glove for the chidren! My kids like to sew with me from time to time but I don't let them rotary cut - with a glove maybe they could. They're 8 and 6. :-D And like you, I'd be hovering over their shoulders! :lol:
Old 01-26-2011, 02:51 AM

I got in a hurry one day trying to finish a quilt for my Mothers' birthday & almost cut off my right index finger. Luckily, I had some paper towels handy & was able to catch the blood before it ruined the quilt. I still don't use gloves, tho'. They get in the way.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:20 AM
tmg

I don't use them.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
I think these are called Klutz gloves? I wouldn't use one, I don't use my FMQ gloves either or gloves to garden. I like to have the full use and feeling in my fingers. Maybe for ppl with issues in their hands they're a good idea but otherwise I think it's better to just BE CAREFUL! Health and safety goes nuts sometimes IMO. LOL
I have been told that I am probably the only person that doesn't use gloves for gardening. Why should I wear gloves to feel the nice warm earth? Why should I wear gloves when cutting fabric? Just look at the blade, look at the glove - if it can cut through four layers of fabric, why would it not cut through a glove? I think the word, which I might add has gone out the window someplace, is common sense. My mother is 94, I am 72 - never cut my finger. I just adjust my hand so I will not get cut.

Get to the point, Edie - I am glad to know that I am not the only one who doesn't use gloves for gardening, for sewing or even for scrubbing floors or walls! Edie
Old 01-26-2011, 04:47 AM

Guess I am just lucky, no severed fingers yet but I can't say the same for a ruler or two who have suffered mightily from my carelessness. Thank you Harbor Frieght for letting me ruin rotary blades with very little guilt.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
I think they wear them to promote their product.
Agree! It's just a sales thing.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:52 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Edie
[I have been told that I am probably the only person that doesn't use gloves for gardening. Why should I wear gloves to feel the nice warm earth? Why should I wear gloves when cutting fabric? Just look at the blade, look at the glove - if it can cut through four layers of fabric, why would it not cut through a glove? I think the word, which I might add has gone out the window someplace, is common sense. My mother is 94, I am 72 - never cut my finger. I just adjust my hand so I will not get cut.

Get to the point, Edie - I am glad to know that I am not the only one who doesn't use gloves for gardening, for sewing or even for scrubbing floors or walls! Edie
Glad I'm in such good company! :-D :-D :-D