Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you actually use a pattern? >

How many of you actually use a pattern?

How many of you actually use a pattern?

Old 01-26-2011, 05:23 AM

Even though I'm new to this wonderful past-time I chose Tumbling Blocks as my 3rd. quilt to make (the first 2 were simple scrap blocks and turned out just fine). I NEEDED something to follow for the Tumbling Blocks not to mention a template ........... it was difficult for me but I got it done and even though it's a bit wonky it's still beautiful (in MY eyes anyway). That's the only time I followed a pattern ...... I'm a scrappy quilter and LOVE it!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by quiltersince2007
I started quilting and not using a pattern but have recently begun using them. I have found that there is some difference in making the picture in my head happen and following a pattern. The biggest is less waste ... my head isn't always accurate.
I am currently making mini log cabins for a charity quilt.
I agree, can't wait to see the mini log cabin quilt!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:26 AM

Although I do purchase patterns, I do it mainly for inspiration and yardage. Also, some designers do some interesting things with combination of blocks and placement. That being said, I very rarely "follow the directions" as written.

Many times, when I want a simple 4X3 quilt with basic borders, I turn to EQ6. There I can play with colors, fabric, placement, border and sash width and size.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by suern3
As a new quilter, I do use patterns and like them. They tell me how much fabic I need for one thing. Although, I have adjusted some to fit what I wanted to do and also made one quilt that I alternated pattern blocks with those that I just figured out what I needed. I love looking at the magazines and find inspiration from them, also.
As a newer quilter, I agree with suern3. I have bought a number and have downloaded as many free ones as interest me. Once I decide upon one, I store the material bought for it with the pattern attached. I am TRYING not to just buy just odd assortments of material without a goal pattern in mind.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:44 AM

If I did not use a pattern, Lord knows what I would end up with. I always use a pattern . Maybe I am a little dumb that way! I can cook without a recipe and I tweak those all the time when I use them , but not for my quilting!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:49 AM

I like to follow a pattern for a block if it appeals to me. But not a pattern for an actual quilt...
Old 01-26-2011, 05:51 AM

I look at patterns, but always end up doing it my way or creating something entirely different. I enjoy drawing out my ideas and seeing them come to life.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:53 AM

Depends on what I am doing.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:55 AM

I must be the only A type personality here...I use patterns most of the time so I know what order to assemble...how to get from point A to point B...I am not a newbie but I can't call myself advanced either...just chuggin' along trying new things. I rarely repeat a quilt once I make it - maybe that is part of the reason...wanting to try new things.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:59 AM

How interesting. I've only been quilting on and off for about 2 years. I use the patterns in books, mostly so that I can 'see' what I'll end up with, and get the yardages. But often I'll find myself handling a fabric, then I spot another fabric, then I think.... let's take these to the sewing machine and make some HST... then before you know it, i've got a simple pieced (like ohio stars) wall hanging top done. I have bought kits for some big projects, particularly applique...

So I guess I use them, sometimes. I find the books helpful in learning 'what' goes with what. Just yesterday, I discovered that pink and chocolatte brown actually go together. I was startled. I'd never think of that color combo on my own...