Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting gloves >

cutting gloves

cutting gloves

Old 01-26-2011, 04:55 AM

I've heard of them, but that's about it. I wouldn't wear gloves for cutting, my opinion.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

I am wondering if they wear them because they sell them. I've never seen anyone else wear them either.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
while watching Fons and Porter this weekend, I noticed that they always put a glove on before using their rotary cutter. I guess I live "on the edge" b/c I don't use one. Do many of you quilters out their use one? And yes, have sliced my fingers but apparently like to continue to take the risk!
They look terribly bulky to me--I've never used gloves and have never cut myself (came close a time or two). I am not convinced the gloves would really protect you --why wouldn't the cutter slice through the gloves the same as through the fabric????
Old 01-26-2011, 06:30 AM

I didn't even wear the gloves when I was doing stained glass. Too clumsy and hot. I just try to be careful......
Old 01-26-2011, 06:35 AM

Never even heard of that.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:02 AM

Wow! : ) I do wear one and no, I'm not a klutz! I don't use theirs however. After a little "accident" I went online, found them priced by the dozen from an industrial supply company and bought enough for all my friends. I think there are only 2 who actually use them now though. Let me tell you the story.......... I always have something to work on at my lunch break. Well, one day I was cutting out a small template when the rotary cutter jumped the edge and cut right through about 1/3 of my middle finger, nail and all! It was done in the blink of an eye! I called my employer and told him he needed to come back early to stitch my finger, which he did (3 stitches). It only takes a minute or a slight distraction to have this happen! Was it bulky and hot? Yes, but I kind of like my fingertips! It's the same as using a thimble, it just takes time and persistence then it's just another tool to use. It just becomes second nature!You don't have to use an expensive one though. You can go to the fishing department in many stores and purchase a filet glove. Same thing. The key is they are made of kevlar fibers so you really do get a great deal of protection. I purposely tried to cut mine when they came in. I COULD nick it, but could not CUT it! It's the old once of prevention pound of cure scenario!
Old 01-26-2011, 07:04 AM

I have cut myself already using my rotary cutter. Not bad but enough for a bandaid. I didn't get a klutz glove after that though.

My dear sister-in-law almost cut off the end of her finger with her rotary cutter and had to go the the emergency room to have it sewn back on. She even did not buy a klutz glove after that. But I did! Hearing her story made me scared enough to go spend that atrocious amount of money to go buy one of them. (I did use a 40% off Joann's coupon to get it though!)

I use it every time I use my rotary cutter now. I figured that after I spent that much money for it, I might as well use it! And the first time that I don't use it - THAT is when I will cut myself!

I am not sure how much the glove will protect my finger if the rotary cutter runs over it, and I don't want to find out. But now that I have it, I will use it and hope that it protects me somewhat.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:31 AM

I got some suction cup handles from Harbor Freight to attach to my rulers. It keeps my fingers away from the edge. These are the handles that they use to carry panes of glass. They work great. I don't cut without them.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:36 AM

I used to know a butcher who wore one of those gloves when he was cutting meat. I can't even think of wearing one when I'm cutting fabric.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:59 AM

I don't wear gloves for cutting, just watch where I put my fingers when I do. The only time I remember cutting myself was when my son (then 2) very excitedly asked my to look at a picture in a book while I was in the middle of cutting a long strip. I don't multitask while cutting anymore.