Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice >

Need advice

Need advice

Old 01-26-2011, 07:28 AM

When your needle makes a sort of popping noise when you sew that means its dull. I try to change my needle after each quilt. I remove the bobbine and switch plate every 3rd bobbin,and clean it out. It will help your machine perform much better. If it starts to make a squeaking sound this usually means lint build up. That needs to come out. This I have learned by trial and error. lol Your machine should runn semi quietly and listen to it. It will let you know what you need to do. The book that comes with the machine is usually very good.I sew about 6 hours a day.So I have to oil mine more. Good luck in getting to know your machine. Marvel
Old 01-26-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by Cdrlinda
I am new to sewing and quilting. Was in a hurry today and am not sure what went wrong but I broke a needle. I have never changed a needle before but will read my manual. I have been sewing for about a year have made about 5 lap size quilts. Should I have changed needle? I have never cleaned my machine. How do you do this and how often? Thanks in advance for the info
You should clean and oil your machine every few bobbinfuls. I do mine every 3 bobbins. You clean and oil in the area where your bobbin is. The manual should tell you where on the bobbin race you should apply a few drops of sewing machine oil which you can pick up anywhere, even walmart. Cleaning involves taking a stiff bristled brush and brushing any lint that has built up out of the bobbin race area. I also remove the plate that sits over the feed dogs, it usually unscrews or snaps up and get all the lint out of the feed dog area too.

Here is just one link of many I found. If you put "How to clean and oil a sewing machine" in the seach engine it will bring back loads of stuff

http://www.ehow.com/how_5064_clean-sewing-machine.html
I would be very careful about oiling a machine. I sew with a Viking Sapphire 850 and mine does not use oil. Usually just changing the needle regularly will help prevent broken needles. Also be careful about sewing over pins. Some insist that you should NEVER sew over pins; others do it regularly. I sew over pins, but occasionally do break a needle. I like to place my pins so that the head is pointing to the left instead of the right. I learned this from a video done by my LQS owner. It works better for me. I also recommend getting your machine professionally serviced once a year, but I can not always afford to do this. Good luck!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 AM

I can't agree more with the comment of having your machine professional serviced periodically. I clean my machine after each quilt and have a mini vacuum to get the lint out under the bobbin case. Recently I put my machine in for a professional cleaning and the technician saved all the lint that I couldn't get to. There was about 1/4 cup of lint deep in the machine and to my horror, the end of a broken needle.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:30 AM

Oh, my... My mom gave me her machine (montgomery ward 283) sitting around and have fiddled on it here and there and just recently finished piecing my first top together on it. Way over due for cleaning and oiling. Here I was thinking my needles were breaking because my 5yr. old son kept adjusting nobs.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:04 AM

I clean my machine every other day. I sew alot. As for the needle I also change it at least once a week.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:10 AM

I clean my bobbin area pretty much every time I sit down at the machine. I don't use terribly low lint thread though either, just inexpensive thread from Jo Anns and Connecting Threads. If you are getting nests of thread on the underside of your fabric or your thread is jamming up on you while you sew, it's often because you have lint in your bobbin area. When I was new to sewing I didn't know this, and I even gave away my great grandmother's sewing machine because I thought it was broken! Oh how I wish I had kept it!!! :(

As for oiling, you are supposed to do it more often but I oil just a few times a year. I don't sew everyday though like many of the ladies here do. Many computerized sewing machines don't need oiling at all and even recommend against them, so as others have suggested, check through your manual. ;)

I change my needle every new project or so...if I just made something small I don't bother. If your needle breaks, your thread starts breaking, or you begin skipping stitches, then your needle change is over due. ;) If you have changed your needle and you are still having issues, you might need a different needle size. Anything beyond that and I'd go running to the manual myself so I'm not very helpful! LOL*
Old 01-26-2011, 09:20 AM

thank you pumpkinpatchquilter I have ran to all thoes problems myself and had no clue.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:46 AM

Go to the Janome web site for info or ask a question, or talk to your dealer
Old 01-26-2011, 11:04 AM

I have the Janome 6600P. My sewing repair man says all we need to do is use a small paintbrush to remove lint and add one (and only one!) drop of oil to the wick in the center of the bobbin holder. Do not use canned air or blow into your machine. I take it in once a year for a physical.
this machine is a workhorse!
Subee XOXOXO
http://www.subeesews.com

Originally Posted by Mary M
I sure do wish that Janome would have gave good directions in their manual for the 6600P. I clean lint from mine after every project and needle fairly often but don't know if I am doing enough.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Stogsdill
thank you pumpkinpatchquilter I have ran to all thoes problems myself and had no clue.
You are welcome! ;) I'm so glad that was helpful to someone out there lol*