Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
USING DRIER SHEETS IN QUILTING >

USING DRIER SHEETS IN QUILTING

USING DRIER SHEETS IN QUILTING

Old 01-27-2011, 05:06 AM

Thanks for the experiments...I've been collecting used dryer sheets and not sure, yet, if I'll use them or not. This is just one example of why I love this Board...so educatioinal!
Old 01-27-2011, 05:18 AM

I never use dryer sheets so was not aware they were used in quilting. (?) I am allergic to fragrances so I would never use them in a quilt. I had heard fabric softeners make clothes flameable so was not surprised the sheets were as well.
(I use vinegar in my rinse water)
Old 01-27-2011, 05:19 AM

I dont even use dryer sheets in my dryer. They leave a wax on the dryer drum which gets hot and can ignight.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:48 AM

I've never used dryer sheets, but have use new coffee filters several times. I haven't tried burning them.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:00 AM

As a longarm quilter. I cant stand the dryer sheets when quilting. It is not the bulk, but the smell. used ones still emit the smell. Ruff on my allergies.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
Duh I know I must sound stupid but why and how do you use dryer sheets in quilting? The only use I know of them is how great they are for keeping your Iron clean :!:
For applique ;) Instead of using fusible web to make applique easier to turn. I hadn't heard of using dryer sheets until it was posted on here so don't feel bad! LOL* I think because they are lightweight they would be really easy to turn and less stiff on the back of your fabric...although I am a fan of fusible because, well, it fuses. ;)
Thanks, as I don't do turned appliqué I wouldn't have heard of it, never mind I can keep mine for my iron

:-P
Old 01-27-2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G
Somebody mentioned the other day about the fire risk in using drier sheets in our quilting. I started saving them but decided to test them before using them.
I held a used sheet over the sink & put a match to it. It immediately went up in flames so I dropped it into the sink under running water. I will never use them in my quilting. Most definitely not in kids' quilts. It sounded like such a good idea originally. I'll stick to light wt. fusible instead.

I read how we can layer the applique pc. right sides together with the fusible. After sewing it around & turning it right side out, cut the insides of the fusible out leaving a narrow rim around the edge of the applique. Be sure you layer them right to end up with the fusible rim facing the block. I did it wrong once & ended up with the fusible facing the wrong way. Duuh. That also prevents so much stiffness to the applique.
Did you try and see what happens to the fusible...It might do the same thing...just wondering..
Old 01-27-2011, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by oma66
I just did a test in my kitchen with dryer sheet, poly-cotton, fusible interfacing and 100% cotton. They all burned the same - quickly. The poly-cotton curled up in flame, the cotton burned the fastest and with much more flame, the fusible burned very quickly and the dryer sheet burned quickly, but not any quicker than the other three. As someone said, put a match to anything and it will burn. I used dryer sheets in quilting and was very alarmed when I read the post this morning, so I did the experiment myself. If you recently saw the damage a candle did to a quilters quilt in progress, you would see just how quickly a quilt will burn without a dryer sheet involved.

I am always thankful for new information and warnings. I am glad I saw the post so I could see for myself as PatG suggested. Thank you PatG for the suggestion and warning. However, since they all burned the same, I am not afraid of using the dryer sheets.
DITTO
Old 01-27-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by salmonsweet
Originally Posted by oma66
I just did a test in my kitchen with dryer sheet, poly-cotton, fusible interfacing and 100% cotton. They all burned the same - quickly. The poly-cotton curled up in flame, the cotton burned the fastest and with much more flame, the fusible burned very quickly and the dryer sheet burned quickly, but not any quicker than the other three. As someone said, put a match to anything and it will burn. I used dryer sheets in quilting and was very alarmed when I read the post this morning, so I did the experiment myself. If you recently saw the damage a candle did to a quilters quilt in progress, you would see just how quickly a quilt will burn without a dryer sheet involved.

I am always thankful for new information and warnings. I am glad I saw the post so I could see for myself as PatG suggested. Thank you PatG for the suggestion and warning. However, since they all burned the same, I am not afraid of using the dryer sheets.

Ah, reality check. Thank you so much for this. :)
Old 01-27-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
For it to be a fair comparison, you need to do the same thing with the fusible.
That's what I was thinking, it might do the same thing.