Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash Organizing Question >

Stash Organizing Question

Stash Organizing Question

Old 01-25-2011, 11:43 AM

I sort by color except for children's,flannel,sateens, and baby. I use clear totes also and label them so it's easier to find.

God bless, Dee
Old 01-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Power Poster

I pretty much go by color. I keep my fat quarters seperate.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:15 PM

One of the things I've discovered about my stash is that my favorite combinations are tied with a pretty ribbon and are on a shelf in my sewing room (while the rest are stashed in bins in garage) BUT I hate to use the prettiest ones and look for something else they're just too pretty to mess with. I'm hopeless.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:48 AM
PJL

Originally Posted by Jo Mama
One of the things I've discovered about my stash is that my favorite combinations are tied with a pretty ribbon and are on a shelf in my sewing room (while the rest are stashed in bins in garage) BUT I hate to use the prettiest ones and look for something else they're just too pretty to mess with. I'm hopeless.
You're not alone! I have some of those too! Some of the most beautiful fabrics I've had for years on my shelf. I enjoy just looking at them and remarking to them and to myself just how beautiful they are. :D
Old 01-27-2011, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelady
I would go by color, with a couple of exceptions. Asian fabric would have it's own area, as would batiks. oh, and probably children themed fabric would be separate too. . Hmm.. and flannels.
I do the same. I have a box for all the colors and plastic drawers for special patterned fabrics.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:10 PM

I used to keep my fabrics sorted by color in separate clear containers, but the system broke down, mostly due to my general flightiness. Now I stack them in no particular order in plastic drawers so that they're easy to spot and easy to get at, and quick to put back. I usually do scrappy quilts, and I find the odd mixture more inspiring. I'm sure my "system" would drive most organized people bonkers. When I get some particular thing in my head and can't find it, that does get annoying, but it doesn't happen very often. I don't keep a very big stash these days. It's more useful to me to shop when I know what I'm looking for and how much I need, and anyway, I've reached the end of my available space. Quiltville.com has some valuable pointers about the stash.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:11 PM

If no one has shared with you yet, I would point you in the direction of one of my favorite quilting sites:

http//www.quiltville.com

Inspiration and encouragement galore on this site <wave>
Old 02-05-2011, 01:02 PM

I started using this cubicles, only the black ones, black does not distract from the color of the fabric. You can get them at Target and add several pieces together. I used cable ties instead of the plastic things they come with to join the panels. They are 15" square and I love them. They do get messy but not like shelves. I also got the wire file drawers for those odd bits of stuff I want to see.
There are so many things
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-149388.jpe
Views:	48
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	149393  
Old 02-06-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma58
I started using this cubicles, only the black ones, black does not distract from the color of the fabric. You can get them at Target and add several pieces together. I used cable ties instead of the plastic things they come with to join the panels. They are 15" square and I love them. They do get messy but not like shelves. I also got the wire file drawers for those odd bits of stuff I want to see.
There are so many things
I used those types of cubes too. I like that they can be dismantled and rearranged in a different way. Also easy to store the ones you are not using.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:12 PM

They are wonderful
Originally Posted by Jo Mama
Originally Posted by Grandma58
There are so many things
I used those types of cubes too. I like that they can be dismantled and rearranged in a different way. Also easy to store the ones you are not using.