Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the cheapest thing you do? >

What is the cheapest thing you do?

What is the cheapest thing you do?

Old 01-27-2011, 11:03 PM

i collect all of the change that has been droped on my school campuses and use it to buy lunch. It normaly takes one trip around which takes about 20 mins to get the $6 for lunch. i use cupons for every thing. I dont wear make up of of personal thoughts that no one should. i cut and die my own hair. i take every ones handme downs in my family. i will use the same cup for about a week as long as i am drinking the same thing the whole time i do rinse it out every morning though. there is alot that i do.
oh and if its within a 2 and a half hour walk their and back moth of the time ill walk instead of taking my 88 ranger (which is older then me )
Old 01-28-2011, 02:46 AM

Rarely eat out, don't really enjoy it much anymore so many foods salty or too creamy and hi cal, driving less as well with price of gas and keeping house pretty cool in winter stay busy and dress warm.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:55 AM

I make coffee twice out of the same grounds. Ok, I will fess up that I do not drink coffee but my husband is hooked on the stuff and he doesn't seem to notice that every other day he is drinking it made with used grounds...

Vicky
Old 01-28-2011, 04:24 AM

We are debt free except for the mortgage!!
Old 01-28-2011, 05:28 AM

This thread is fantastic. The newer generations could really learn from this. My grandparents, who went thru the depression taught me a lot and we need to pass this on so these tips are not forgotten. I do many of these things plus I also propagate my own plants, roses, bushes and trees for landscaping.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:47 AM

thought of another one this morning - when I empty a jar of jam, I add some water, shake it up, and use it to cook my oatmeal the next morning.
For all those who thought I was going to say, pour it over my toast, now you are way TOO frugal!!
Old 01-28-2011, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

I love this thread too!
If BF and I see an old appliance out on the curb with a free sign, we grab it! We see if it works, if it does, use it or give to one of the kids who can use it, if not, we take it apart and recycle the parts. We walk the country roads and pick up cans, and have found alot of other things, including a cadiallitic converter(sp) that I got 75.00 for at the scrap yard once! Weve found new tools, buckets, and a bizillion aliminum cans!
I have a huge garden, plus I forage for food....wild berries, nuts, wild plums, dandelion greens!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:45 AM

I have worn the same chenille bathrobe for probably 20 years. It is so worn out but they just don't make them anymore in the tall size....or at least they didn't 5 yrs ago when I was looking for a new one.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Pam H
I have worn the same chenille bathrobe for probably 20 years. It is so worn out but they just don't make them anymore in the tall size....or at least they didn't 5 yrs ago when I was looking for a new one.
I have a fuzzy bathrobe that is also at least 20 years old, prob. closer to 30 - warm as can be and just does not wear out.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:55 AM

I keep a container or two in the freezer for leftover veggies. Even a spoonful left over goes into the container. Things like English peas, corn, green beans, hominy, lima beans, pinto beans, stewed tomatoes, and blackeyed peas. I've even added rice and macaroni. I just keep adding until the container is full. Then, when I make soup or stew, in addition to meat, potatoes, carrots and onions, I add in my container of all the different vegetables. My husband doesn't like a "thin" soup......he wants soup he can chew. Adding all those vegetables and things gives the soup more substance, variety, and added nutrition. Plus, I didn't waste anything by throwing those leftovers away.