Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the cheapest thing you do? >

What is the cheapest thing you do?

What is the cheapest thing you do?

Old 01-28-2011, 06:59 AM

Used coffee filters in microwave to limit splattering.

Old socks on sponge mop to wax floor.

Waxed cereal bags to store items in fridge.

Bread bags to store items (in fridge or elsewhere).
Old 01-28-2011, 07:01 AM

use rechargeable batteries!!! they seem to work better/longer in my camera too!
Old 01-28-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
thought of another one this morning - when I empty a jar of jam, I add some water, shake it up, and use it to cook my oatmeal the next morning.
For all those who thought I was going to say, pour it over my toast, now you are way TOO frugal!!
I am definitely going to try this one. I bet it adds just the right amount of fruity flavor to the oatmeal, which I LOVE!
Old 01-28-2011, 07:07 AM

in my house it's a "switch... DH is the fugal one"!!! It's always better when one balances the other.... i used to go crazy with his ways... but now in retirement, we are quite comfortable and both pretty much on the same page....
Originally Posted by no1jan
My dh hates dealing with small picky things. He only cuts a turkey or chicken when it is easy to get the meat off.

Me on the other hand with pick off more meat for turkey/chicken salad or just regular sandwiches. Then I boil the rest to make soup. His leftovers could give us 5 more meals.

Another pet peeve of mine is hand soap. When the soap starts getting small, he digs out a new one. I can continue with the same bar until there is hardly anything there.

Cheap, sometimes, but as my pocketbook will attest, when it comes to fabric, NO!
;)
Old 01-28-2011, 07:07 AM

Cut the bottom end off any tube you buy. It's surprising how much is left in the center, even after you thought you had squeezed out every little bit.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:08 AM

I use the clear bags from cereal boxes to hold onions and peppers and lots of other things. Even sewing.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:09 AM

It's fun being frugal when you don't HAVE to be. We watched a homeless man going through a garbage bag yesterday. I still pick up pennies when I see them on the ground. Many walk over them.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:09 AM

I tip bottles upside down when they are near empty to get the last drop of katsup, dish soap, whatever and it drives my MIL crazy!!
Old 01-28-2011, 07:14 AM

I guess the way I got rid of 12 truck tires on rims my son left for me to get rid of. The old cistern started to cave in.
put the tires in one end, made a wall to block off,filled in with old gravel to within 18" of top then compost and soil. Now have a very nice 4x4 planter and NO tires. The plants love it. The area was 4x11 when I started. Now have a 4x4 garden, 3ft wide steps to the basement (new entrance) and a 4x4 storage area at lower level. Only cost me 3 bags of mortar for the brick retaining wall made from the pavers used to line the old cistern. The tires act as drainage for the flower bed and below the storage area. Needed that door there for a long time. Easier to put things into and out of basement. I did this when I was 62. If you want something anything is possable.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:15 AM
DJ

Originally Posted by no1jan
Another pet peeve of mine is hand soap. When the soap starts getting small, he digs out a new one. I can continue with the same bar until there is hardly anything there.
When our soap gets down to a sliver, we wet a new bar of soap and "mold" the sliver to the new bar.