Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else have this problem besides me? >

Does anyone else have this problem besides me?

Does anyone else have this problem besides me?

Old 01-28-2011, 05:51 AM

I quilt al my quilts by hand but lately my hands don't like it and won't cooperate sometimes. The arthritis makes it hard for me to hold the needle anymore, so this Big Stitch looks pretty easy to do and I think I just might try my hand at it...thanks for the info
Old 01-28-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by passionforsewing
I am so thrilled at everyone's response. I too cannot afford a long arm quilter, which I have two very close friends of mine that own one and one has offered to do a couple of mine for "FREE", but cannot seem to take advantage of this. Feeling guilty I guess. I admit I too am soooooo slow at quilting, picked up one that I've been working on this morning and have started with the long stitches and I'm actually liking it, but still it's too slow for me. Think I will stop worrying so much about it all now and be happy with the "tops" finished. Thanks to everyone who came to my "rescue". I feel so much better now.
I am a longarm quilter and I have to chim in here. There is longarm quilting and there is longarm quilting. Ask your friends how much they charge for a simple, open, all-over pattern. For a queen size quilt, and a large pattern, I might charge as little as $70, or even less to just make straight lines or outline blocks.
Also, as a friend, you might pay them half price if you are not comfortable with letting them do it for free. However, they probably offered to do it for free because it is great practice for them.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:53 AM

Maybe you need a bit of encouragement to finish something. There's a topic on this board about that. It's a challenge to finish one UFO a month all year. January's almost over - you better get busy and if not this month - there's Feb.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:55 AM

Maybe you need a bit of encouragement to finish something. There's a topic on this board about that. "UFO Challenge of the Month". It's a challenge to finish one UFO a month all year. January's almost over - you better get busy and if not this month - there's Feb.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
UFOs, unfinished objects, are a symbol of a quilter, some have more than others but every quilter has at least one, or more :twisted:

I have just found out about "Big Stitch" quilting, http://sewprimitive.blogspot.com/200...-examples.html using #8 Perle cotton and an ordinary needle I did 3 small UFOs in just a couple of days. My really big quilt that was giving me problems on my machine is now half finished and looks lovely.

Threadart has a sale on at present and I have bought a load of the lovely Perle cottons for it: http://www.threadart.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=283 their colours are so lovely I feel like eating them :lol:
I love big stitch quilting too! I have completed a few quilts this way. It has to be the right pattern to look good. People who see these quilts always remark at how beautiful they look
Old 01-28-2011, 07:04 AM

Not a suggestion here, just an idea:
I heard once that the average quilter has about 8 (yep, eight) unfinished projects at any one time.
So my question was/is: If a quilter has more quilts does that mean she/he is over average or under? ROFL
I say don't sweat the small stuff honey--just have fun!
It seems like I never get anything finished, just keep going from one project to another and not finishing what I've started. I do have a few quilt tops finished, but as far as quilting them - yeah right. I've started hand quilting one of the tops I finished, but just keep going from one thing to another. I search this site and others on the internet for new projects, it's like a never ending cycle for me. As far as quilting on the machine, I have so much trouble out of that, I have finished small quilts and they turn out just fine, but when it comes to a larger one, well I just have so much trouble out of that. Does anyone have any suggestions at all for me? Thanks.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:09 AM

It seems like I never get anything finished, just keep going from one project to another and not finishing what I've started. I do have a few quilt tops finished, but as far as quilting them - yeah right. I've started hand quilting one of the tops I finished, but just keep going from one thing to another. I search this site and others on the internet for new projects, it's like a never ending cycle for me. As far as quilting on the machine, I have so much trouble out of that, I have finished small quilts and they turn out just fine, but when it comes to a larger one, well I just have so much trouble out of that. Does anyone have any suggestions at all for me? Thanks.
Maybe work a deal with a long arm quilter for a quilt top or something? Trading has worked with my machine repairman.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:42 AM

Have you found a long arm quilter? Before I became a long arm quilter, I took several large quilts to my local quilter and the joy of having the quilt completed was well worth the price. Being a long arm quilter, my joy comes from the expression on my client's face when they see their quilt for the first time. There are many ads in quilting magazines that will do simple meandering or an all over pantograph inexpensive. I have seen some of their work and it's wonderful. Also check with your local long arm quilter for her prices.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:16 AM

I have made a list of my UFO's on a bookmark and keep it in an engagement calendar (a quilt one) and write down what I am doing in quilting. I feel successful when I can cross off a UFO.
I can work on new projects if I put a completion approximation down and work on a UFO during the project.
Diane/Wyomig
Old 01-28-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
when it comes to a larger one, well I just have so much trouble out of that. Does anyone have any suggestions at all for me? Thanks.
Sure, do what I do: send them to a long arm quilter! There are lots of talented ladies on this board who do LAQing, at great prices. I realized long ago that I HATE quilting, but I like the piecing, and that life is way too short to wrestle a big quilt through the throat of a small machine, or to quilt by hand. So go for it!!
I couldn't have said it better. Either that or tie them, which is the other way to finish them, and it takes cost out of it for the most part.