Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question - hand quilting large quilts in hoops >

question - hand quilting large quilts in hoops

question - hand quilting large quilts in hoops

Old 01-28-2011, 08:46 AM

I have quilted three quilts so far....so I'm new to it too. But my sister suggested a rectangle made with pcp (sold at Joann's) and I like it better than the wooden hoop I also used. I didn't have too much of a shifting of the back. More than it should have been. Maybe I didn't pin enough. But I have heard basting is also an option, and I will do that with pinning because I like no shifting of my backing. It didn't show after I squared it up and put on thebinding, but I can only imagine that spray basting would have to make quilting it harder. I might try it sometime though...just to see. Its fun to read what each one does. I like to learn from the pro's. Thanks.
Jeanne
Old 01-28-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Libby
Speaking of handquilting, does anyone know how to MARK the fan-like design like old timers used to..? I know they used a pencil with a string attached and drew the lines about 1/2 inches apart. How do you do that and still get those parallel lines even?
The method works like a compass does. Just pin your string in the middle of where you want an arc. Tie the string (or tape it) around a pencil, holding the pencil straight up and down, and make the string as long as it needs to be for the arc you want. After penciling in the line, move the pinned end up one half inch, if that is the measure you want, pin the string again same way, draw your line, move and draw until your space is filled.

You can also draw a cardboard template and keep moving it up. Or just use a regular compass. Just be careful not to put big holes in your quilt.

The way I do it is to tie one end of the string to a hat pin and the other end to a #3 pencil. When I lay out the quilt top, I keep a piece of cardboard or foam core board under where I want the pencil line. This gives a firm surface for the pencil and gives me something to stick the hat pin in.

Just make sure to keep your pin in the center of the space you are wanting to fill.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:07 AM

I've always quilted on a hoop. The one I have now is made by Hinterberg, http://www.hinterberg.com/

I love it. It rotates 360 degrees and it also tilts.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:20 AM

From Don-isewman-- I sit and hand quilt in my chair of a evening also, with my 3 guards(ha-ha_ my pets). The quilt hoop I use is also a 14-16" hoop. I have a oval hoop, but feel it's a little awkward to use. I would say use the 14-16 round hoop. Don-isewman
Old 01-28-2011, 10:30 AM

I like the spray adhesive for lap quilting. Holds the layers together very well. Don't place your quilt tightly in the hoop. Leaving it loose allows for easier stitching.
Welcome. :)
Old 01-28-2011, 10:33 AM

I don't use a hoop either but I do use safety pins and pin a lot in the areas where I quilt. It's just not as bulky to hold.
Originally Posted by sewjoyce
Just to throw another opinion in the mix -- I don't use a hoop when I hand quilt. I do, however, spray baste the heck out of it :lol: and then start in the middle and work out...
Old 01-28-2011, 11:22 AM

Ok this is all great information. I used to use a lap hoop then it broke. So I got a PVC stand frame. but it is hard to handle. so now I have made a "fan design frame" but it is so huge it takes up my entire living room. I am thinking of going back to a hoop.
My problem is i started on the floor frame at one end. I hate to pick out all that I have hand quilted so far and everyone it seems is saying start in the middle. I have a ton of pins and plan on pinning it to death will that work and continue with the end quilting or should I pick out?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by hexagonquilter
My problem is i started on the floor frame at one end. I hate to pick out all that I have hand quilted so far and everyone it seems is saying start in the middle. I have a ton of pins and plan on pinning it to death will that work and continue with the end quilting or should I pick out?
Just start where you left off on the floor frame, in the center of the row. I would have some of the quilted area in the hoop, and quilt out to one edge, then back to the center and quilt out to the other edge. So long as it's pinned or basted you'll be fine.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:33 AM

I also have a Hintenberg standing round hoop. It is at least 24" and stands on a single leg. I can tilt it and spin it anyway I want. I pin baste. I also have a Grace hoop that is a square with rounded corners. It came with a light attached. It stands on a triganular foot that allows me to pull the quilt and frame into my lap. I have quilted dozens of bed size quilts on both frames. For a wallhanging or small project I usually use a PCP frame no bigger than 12 x 24 inches. It allows me to rotate it around in my lap or on a table. That is what I take when I travel. The frame breaks down into four pipes with four corner pieces. When I use a tradional floor frame I like to have a rolling chair as I am very fast and keep on moving from one end to the other until it is time to roll the quilt.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:55 PM

I have found it easier to handle without a hoop! Use lots of pins then keep making sure it stays nice and flat!