Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the cheapest thing you do? >

What is the cheapest thing you do?

What is the cheapest thing you do?

Old 01-29-2011, 09:36 AM

We only use cloth napkins and kitchen towels. I could thru a roll of paper towels in a day!
Old 01-29-2011, 10:56 AM

I guess it would have to be putting those colored plastic party cups in my dishwasher and using them again. Same with plastic "silverware"....they really can go in the silverware thingy.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
OK, I guess a lot of us are pretty frugal folks, we're all semi-anonymous here, so fess up- what is the cheapest thing you do?

I will start off - when i can't squeeze any more toothpaste out of the tube, I cut it into pieces and get at least 6 more times out of it by running my brush inside the tube (no I do not share my bathroom or toothpaste with any one else, so it's sanitary!)

OK, your turn!
I saw this in our local newspaper a few months ago. It was a quote from an older relative. I don't live by these words but it wouldn't hurt to try.
"Use it up, wear it out , make do or do without.
I love it.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:15 PM

I drink tap water. I have a filter on it but I don't buy bottled water since I saw the plastic in the ocean show.....
Old 01-29-2011, 02:35 PM

Hmmmmm.... we use Kleen Kanteens with our own ro water, we use cloth napkins, I'll cut open toothpaste tubes to get it all, we compost, I make our own breakfast cereal (raw oats with raisins, sunflowerseeds, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, walnuts, flaxseed, cinnamon & chocolate chips), we have a huge rainbarrel for garden water - and I used cloth diapers and even moon cloth (although I've gone back to disposable recently).
Old 01-29-2011, 02:59 PM

I save the left over veges in a large freezer bag or container in freezer. Great way to make vegetable soup! Your veges are already seasoned with butter or we use bacon drippings for green beans. Our vegetable soup is just that. No meat added - came from a large Catholic family and this was our Lenten meatless Friday dinners.

Just add potatoes and tomato sauce and cook til taters are done. If I know I have enough veges in freezer for soup I add a few extra potatoes to my roast. This way your potatoes are already done and the soup is just a matter of heating it all through. you could always use leftover roast but we usually make sanwhiches, meat gravy and noodles, or barbq beef sandwhiches with the leftover meat - you can also use the beef to make philly steak sandwhiches just add green peppers and onions and chesse - great on garlic texas toast. ( I have used leftover hotdog buns for garlic bread or buns) Gee my list goes on lol
Old 01-29-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jim
ALready posted once but I forgot something else...I collect COKE POINTS...points on coke product caps and on box ends ...I enter them at MyCokeRewards.com...after saving them yrly I buy NIKE gift certificates with the points...the last two yrs I bought all 4 of my grandsons brand new NIKE's...for free...this yr I bought 5 pair of NIKE's for grandsons and a nephew...and still have a 50 buck certificate left (and got the $150 worth of gift cards for 50% off). I got in on a close out sale, extra 10% off and free shipping also....btw I dont even drink COKE...I have others that do save the points for me...LOL...hows that for being cheap...or should I say frugle?
I do this too! Plus I get paid to read emails at mypoints.com This year I was able to cash out for over $240 worth of gift certificates (gas, restaurants, dept stores) that I used for Christmas stocking stuffers. The only points I've ever earned by buying something was once when I bought something on eBay
Old 01-29-2011, 03:52 PM

I cut off panty hose legs that have runs in them to store my tubes of wrapping paper in, I cut my own hair, I buy my clothes at thrift stores (many times they are new), but do get new ones for Christmas also, when my bath towels get ragged around the edges, I add "ribbon" made of fabric wrapped around the edge and sewn down, I use cloth napkins, I cut up DH's old white undershirts to use as rags for cleaning, make my own window cleaner from vinagar and water. I also iron used wrapping paper and tissue paper to use again. I use plastic shopping bags in the waste baskets in the bathrooms. I use the reverse side of mail for my copier to copy things that are just for my files. I barter when I can, though a lot of folks don't even know what that is anymore.

I use glass jars I buy food in for storing other foods, instead of plastic ware. However, we hardly ever have left overs as I cook just enough for one serving for each of us for dinner.

I only shop at fabric stores when I have a coupon, clip coupons for foods and for resturants (buy one entree, get a second one free.)

I turn boxes inside out and reglue to use for shipping and have done the same with envelopes. I cut down one end of cereal boxes and use them to store magazines in. I buy my make-up at the dollar store. I do use paper towels when I am painting though as I would have to throw away home made wipes for my oil paints anyway.

I gleaned a lot of new ideas from ya'll. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:55 PM

Great for dusting if they are the white cotton. Don't know about the dark ones.

Originally Posted by valinwa
this is a bad one, my DH puts holes in sox faster than I can buy them, so I put them on turned around so the hole is on top of my foot, and I wear them around the house like slippers, they're kinda big so I turn the cuff down. Needless to say I am looking for ways to use old worn sox, any ideas? I have bags full. They're all white short crew sox.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:46 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

We are a very smart bunch!!