12 new watercolor floral log cabin squares done and some project lay outs

12 new watercolor floral log cabin squares done and some project lay outs

Old 01-30-2011, 12:37 PM

I love the way you place the flowers. Just beautiful
Old 01-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

Just gorgeous!
Old 01-30-2011, 12:48 PM

OH MY GOSH! How in the world do you choose the fabrics for this? I would go blind trying to figure it out! lol
Old 01-30-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by mypatookis
Your quilts are just beautiful! I am trying to figure out if you are using the same fabric for all of the blocks. I can find some fabric in all, but it seems like you are using different ones in some? It is hard for me to choose fabric for my quilts, so any help you could give me for one like yours would be much appreciated! :-D
Just gorgeous!! :thumbup:
MMIJAdotCom, this will also answer your question.

Wellllll, the big quilt I did with these blocks had over 65 different fabrics in it. ;) I have ladders with strips hanging on them, and I hold each block side up to the strips--moving it to find the perfect next piece. I do with this every block, every time. Every strip is a decision. With the 12 blocks I just finished, with some strip additions there may be only three different fabrics being used, but then again there could be six different fabrics laying at the machine with the blocks it will be sewed to. The "light" side has much fewer options, so I'll even repeat some there. I try to go lighter to darker with the florals, but don't always follow that with the lights, but I usually do. There are exceptions.

There was one of the new blocks that had a fabric I felt was not lighter than the previous one it was next to, and I had to talk myself into not ripping it off and putting on a new. :roll:

I feel in order to get the effect I want, I need a LOT of fabrics to choose from.

Okay--I just counted. There are 66 different floral fabrics hanging, and 14 lights. I use some florals a lot more than others. I have two on-line orders due this week, and a few florals in the dryer right now from shopping last week. I'm always looking for good ones. I buy a yard at first, then if I find I use it a lot, I try to get more. It's always a little panicky when I run low on a floral or light I love. Sometimes I'll go nuts and get 3 more yards of one I love--and when strips are at 1" or 1.5" that will last a long long time. :lol:

You can see I'm committed to making many many more blocks.... for a variety of projects. I think the doll quilts are my favorite, but I know gaigai would disagree. :lol:

Hope this helps...
Old 01-30-2011, 01:01 PM

STUNNING - you truly have an eye for color. I'm going to try it, but I can't imagine how long it'll take to decide on the fabrics. Thanks so much for the advice....stunning, stunning work!
Amy
Old 01-30-2011, 01:01 PM

Eye candy for sure! What a joy to see your work. Thanks for sharing with all of us and providing much appreciated inspiration.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by MMIJAdotCom
STUNNING - you truly have an eye for color. I'm going to try it, but I can't imagine how long it'll take to decide on the fabrics. Thanks so much for the advice....stunning, stunning work!
Amy
Aww, thanks. :oops: I often see blocks I just adore, and want to make more of, and when I'm starting a new batch, it's helpful to see what I put next to what to get me started. And when I audtion new fabrics--a green with many small flowers of all colors was a new one this time, I want to see what it works well with.

I'm pretty confident there are no two alike.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:10 PM

OOooooooo. So beautful. I wish I could select fabris half as well as you.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:11 PM

Okay! Well, that goes to show you really have the talent (and patience!!) to do that... sooooooo... think I may pass on this one :oops: But I sure like looking at what you do! Fabulous, fabulous work. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 01-30-2011, 01:19 PM

Stunning! I've been afraid of log cabin, but I'd love to try your watercolor! Maybe this will get me to start one.