Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines >

Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines

Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines

Old 01-30-2011, 08:18 PM

I have noticed they bill you 3-4 months before they are due. If you do not keep track, you are paying like every 6 to nine months. So they are really ahead. I am beginning to see the trend of same stuff in most of them. The internet does have much of what I need. Will probably let this years run out but keep what I have. When I want something different, I thumb through till I get an inspiration. I do like that McCalls now have a disclaimer for using their patterns so we are not hit due to the patten law.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by LindaR
I got three in the mail yesterday and usually my favorite thing is an afternoon of crusing thru them...I must have been in a MOOD...cuz couldn't see anything that really struck me. I really think they are running out of ideas. Been there done that type of thing...anyone else think so????
I'm over it too, let all mine lapse. More $$$$$$$ for fabric. Who's got time to read magazines when you're on this board anyway?
Old 01-30-2011, 08:51 PM

The only subscription I had was American Patchwork. It offered a very diverse selection. Not only quilts, but quick little things too. But then they started giving the patterns away for free on their website, allpeoplequilt.com. Every single pattern in the magazine that I was paying for was listed in the exact order they appear in the magazine! Why in the world would I continue paying for something they were giving away! I do enjoy Quilts & More and Quilt Sampler, but these are both seasonal.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:55 PM

I still gain from Quilting Arts mag but don't subscribe to any others. good subject
Old 01-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Dee

As far as I'm concerned, since last year, see one you see them all. Up on prices and nothing new or intresting.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:15 PM

Me too!!! I look thru them at the grocery store, nothing there that I haven't done. haven't bought a mazine in months. elise
Old 01-30-2011, 09:28 PM

That's just hilarious! I got two magazines yesterday and thought the same thing. Being a member of this board has spoiled me for thinly veiled advertising. Did ya ever notice that most magazines feature fabric from their advertisers only? I think that is part of why I am bored with them. I'd much rather see what real quilter's (in the trenches, as it were) chose to do with fabric combinations. Finding your own 'colors' make a quilt so much more your own. IMHO...
Old 01-30-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by yellowsnow55
Originally Posted by LindaR
I got three in the mail yesterday and usually my favorite thing is an afternoon of crusing thru them...I must have been in a MOOD...cuz couldn't see anything that really struck me. I really think they are running out of ideas. Been there done that type of thing...anyone else think so????
I'm over it too, let all mine lapse. More $$$$$$$ for fabric. Who's got time to read magazines when you're on this board anyway?
And, at $7.00 or more per copy, that's a lot of fabric.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:35 PM

I do, just a recycling of pattern, colors, etc.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:58 PM

Many of the current quilting magazines today are owned and managed by the same company. Over the past 4 years, they have begun to look and feel more alike. In addition, most of the 10-12 issues per year have converted to 6 issues per year. i certainly did not see an increase in my subscription expiration time, when they switched to half as many issues!

I decided in Oct. 2010 that I would allow all of my subscriptions to lapse. I have taken Q. Newsletter since the 3rd year it started in publication. Sort of sad...

It would be nice if there were more machine quilting mags. I have noticed that several of the regular quilt mags. have started focusing a bit more on the quilting recently. :hunf: :-( :idea: