Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
You Tube paper piecing. >

You Tube paper piecing.

You Tube paper piecing.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:18 AM

Great tutorial. I am totally in love with paper piecing. Hope all who try it enjoy it as much as I do.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:36 PM

Don't think you can beat Carol Doak books on paper piecing. So so easy to follow and you can be paper piecing like a pro immediately.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:14 PM

I agree on Carol Doak patterns and books. I have had a couple from the library and was overwhelmed with a desire to make EVERYTHING.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:25 AM

I'm pretty simple minded and I will apologize now if this has been asked/answered previously:
To paper piece...do you make hundreds of copies in order to make these blocks for a quilt or what? I'm glad the tutorial showed me how to do a block, but how do you do enough for a quilt?
Old 02-01-2011, 12:19 PM

I was taught to figure out how many copies of the pattern it takes to make a particular "square" and then make that number of copies of the pattern. I took my pattern to a copy place and had them made there. Make your copies all at the same time so they will be exactly the same size. If you don't, if you make a copy of a copy, you might get size variations. ENJOY your paperpiecing and I wish you great success.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:13 PM

Thank you, Mammalane! So now I'm hunting for Paper Piecing Patterns!! And to think I always skipped over these posts cuz I knew nothing about PP and didn't want to learn anything new until I had more quilting experience!! LOL!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:02 PM

You will fall in love with PP. I promise you.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:11 PM

After seeing so many of all the beautiful quilts on this board, and so many being paper pieced, I just had to learn how to do it. So last night I watched the tut put on by Roberta on youtube and even though it isn't the same pattern, I could figure it out. It took me a while. It is 4- 4" squares made into an 8" block. I think my first square I used 3 yards of fabric. LOL But once it clicked, I did the rest of the blocks in pretty good time. Even my DH who really doesn't understand why I want to quilt so much really likes it. So I guess a little larger one is in my future. This was the site the tut was on.

I have learned more since June than I learned the 30 yrs I had been quilting. Thanks to all you wonderful people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uaW2...re=uploademail

Forestquilting on quilterscache.com
[ATTACH=CONFIG]132003[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-131998.jpe
Views:	66
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	132003  
Old 02-07-2011, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by cctx.
Originally Posted by lynnsv
I have been paper piecing for years amd I use lightweight sew-in interfacing instead of paper. That way you don't have to rip anything out!
Me too, I use the June Tailor Paper piecing that sells that WalMart stores. Or phone book directories.
Please clarify -- how you use lightweight interfacing AND June Tailor paper piecing [what] or phone book directories??

Sorry to be a dunce but would love to understand the correlation of the two, interfacing and phone book pages.
I do want to get into paper piecing.
Thanks!
Old 02-07-2011, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by craftiladi
I have been paper piecing for years amd I use lightweight sew-in interfacing instead of paper. That way you don't have to rip anything out!
Great idea-do you print your pattern on the inter facing?
A few years ago, I found paper piecing stencils at a quilt show; just like the 'regular' quilting stencils. I can trace them onto the interfacing. Sadly, I have not been able to find them since. If I don't use the stencils, I trace onto the interfacing the old fashioned way!!

Does that mean you put the interfacing over a printed pattern and just trace the lines, then copy that sheet?
So how do you get the lines onto interfacing? Must have to stick them to freezer paper or something to get them to go through the copier without jamming? (I don't know anything about using freezer paper either but have seen it referred to on this board...)
Sorry for so many [probably annoying] questions from a newbie-who'd-love-to-learn-everything.
Thanks SO much. I appreciate everyone's patience.