Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Talk about an unnecessary item! >

Talk about an unnecessary item!

Talk about an unnecessary item!

Old 02-01-2011, 04:13 PM

We're talking about free cardboard used for bolts of fabric. Check anywhere that sells fabric. Free is good.

Originally Posted by gigiri5
Where do you buy them and how much do they cost?
Old 02-01-2011, 04:13 PM

If you have a Mill Ends anywhere close by they will gladly part with them.

Originally Posted by Up North
I asked for those at Walmart and Joanns but the won't give them away here!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:15 PM

Great idea!! What hours are you open? :o)
Old 02-01-2011, 04:16 PM

LOL.
I'll leave the light on for ya!

Originally Posted by Shirlrh
Great idea!! What hours are you open? :o)
Old 02-01-2011, 04:23 PM

Cute!!! Also love your saying after your name. I'm sure you are a very neat lady!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:23 PM

I used to use the fabric bolts to store my stash and then I read that the carboard has something in it that fades your fabric on the edges if you keep the fabric on them to long.
So I started to panic and checking and I had a few that on the edge it looked like they had been bleached from top to bottom. So that's when I started switching over to the plastic folding boards. When you have almost a whole bolt of fabric and it has white stripes down the width of the whole thing it is a bit dishearting. And it wasn't fading from sunlight.
So now the majority is on the boards. I must admit that they are a bit expensive but they cost alot less than ruined fabric.
kjym Kathy
Old 02-01-2011, 04:25 PM

I use the old cardboard bolts from JoAnn's as well, but I have a lot of room, I think these fit the fabric better and I don't have to cut anything. But its what makes you happy
Old 02-01-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by kjym
I used to use the fabric bolts to store my stash and then I read that the carboard has something in it that fades your fabric on the edges if you keep the fabric on them to long.
So I started to panic and checking and I had a few that on the edge it looked like they had been bleached from top to bottom. So that's when I started switching over to the plastic folding boards. When you have almost a whole bolt of fabric and it has white stripes down the width of the whole thing it is a bit dishearting. And it wasn't fading from sunlight.
So now the majority is on the boards. I must admit that they are a bit expensive but they cost alot less than ruined fabric.
kjym Kathy
I've just finished 'bolting' all my stash of 1m pieces and longer ... whew!! I went to a local sign maker - he cut me corflute pieces that are 200mm x 300mm (8" x 12") - ribs running the width of the pieces (important!) and charges me $1 each for them - and I can fit a lot more on my shelf than reusing the free ones that I had. He does like me to order them 100 at a time - :) - that way he can keep HIS costs down :) Between a few quilting buddies - this is an economical way of doing it
Old 02-01-2011, 04:33 PM

Some people can't afford to buy a whole bolt at a time, and then it is impractical and unnecessary to have the cards. A 20metre bolt over here would be about $260 (each).
Old 02-01-2011, 04:53 PM

What a grand idea, I'll have to ask at my local quilt store.Thankyou.
Originally Posted by shequilts
I keep hearing about the boards used to fold and store fabric, and from what I hear, they're not cheap. Why not use the cardboard that bolts of fabric come on? I've used this for years and never spent a dime on a "board". They're free anywhere that sells fabric. I have closet shelves in my walk-in closet. They're three deep on the back wall and two sides. I have over 400 "bolts" stacked on end in this closet. I sort by color family and can easily "shop" for what I need. My only investment was for the shelves. The cardboards are replaceable for free.
I attached a couple of pics to clarify what I mean.