Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection >

I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

Old 02-03-2011, 02:57 AM

It is said the Amish quilters always made a mistake in their quilts, because "Only God is perfect".
Continue to enjoy your creativity in your quilts. Remember the joy you feel when your friends and family marvel at your talent!
Happy quilting Severna
Old 02-03-2011, 03:13 AM

I feel as you do. I had, and still do, so many things that was not finished because of the project not being "perfect" and I have thrown so many things in the garbage because I thought they were not good enough. Then I met this woman that owns a quilt shop just a few miles from me and that's when I changed my way of thinking about the whole ordeal. Now I'm having the time of my life and am learning so much as I go along, so many things never were finished because I gave up and for quite some time I stopped quilting and just sewing all together. She opened my eyes and now my quilting is getting better because I have stopped giving up. They still have mistakes, but so what. There was only one that was perfect and he'll be back to get his people soon I believe. Please enjoy and have the time of your life. I am.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:30 AM

I believe in the'ten foot' rule: If you can't see the 'mistake' from ten feet away, don't worry about it!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jill
I quilt for fun. I gave up perfection years ago. I like my quilts to look nice, and I do rip out my share of seams, but my quilts will never be in a show, will never be in a museum, but they will be in my house and the houses of family and friends, and I will be proud of them when I'm done. I keep telling myself that perfection is impossible so why should I drive myself crazy trying to achieve something I can never do.
AMEN
Old 02-03-2011, 04:04 AM

*If it's still ugly, you didn't cut it small enough. If it's still crooked, your galloping horse isn't going fast enough!!* By: ScissorQueen. I sooooo love this!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:27 AM

Actually Quilts were not meant to be perfect. It is just in this modern age these so called quilt experts say they should be. Just look at the history of quilts. Made for necessity not perfection.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:29 AM

I have to agree with you. I usually have trouble with intersecting squares... and have tried to perfect it, but it really makes me more anxious than happy thinking that someone might inspect my work down the road and think it is not "right"! Takes the fun out of it.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:30 AM

I LOVE THAT!!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by lynnsv
I believe in the'ten foot' rule: If you can't see the 'mistake' from ten feet away, don't worry about it!
I LOVE THAT!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 05:00 AM

I read somewhere once upon a time that people used to make an error on purpose in a quilt. It showed our human fraility or something along that order. I could just see it and thought it was cute although I would not do it on purpose because I know I am going to make a mistake without trying.