Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection >

I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

Old 02-03-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tropical
Once I gave up on absolute perfection, I became a much happier and calmer person. Much to my DH's delight. He's working on the same issue for himself and me. We both have many slip ups, but we catch each other and have a good laugh. Don't get me wrong - we still always strive for the best we can do. We just agreed that pefection is no longer the goal. Quilting is too much fun to make myself stressed about it.
Totally agree! Eased up on myself and found a great LQS whose owner it helpful, practical, and NOT a member of the quilt police. Just have to remember enjoy the journey.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:26 AM

Quilting is a growth experience. Look back to where you started and you will see how you have grown as a quiltmaker. Only God is perfect. Do the best you can and know that you will get better, and better....
Old 02-03-2011, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jill
I quilt for fun. I gave up perfection years ago. I like my quilts to look nice, and I do rip out my share of seams, but my quilts will never be in a show, will never be in a museum, but they will be in my house and the houses of family and friends, and I will be proud of them when I'm done. I keep telling myself that perfection is impossible so why should I drive myself crazy trying to achieve something I can never do.
Me, too!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:36 AM

I was in 4-H and the motto "To make the best, better" is ingrained. My quilts are certainly not perfect but I keep trying. The 1/4" foot, the walking foot and the SITD foot make my work so much easier and faster that I'm happy to use them. I wonder if our grandmothers/mothers would consider our rotary cutters and rulers gadgets and look how much easier and quicker we think that method is compared to templates and scissors. There are a number of gadgets that I consider are overpriced and unnecessary but some of them make it easier to keep trying for that perfect quilt--as if that's ever going to happen! The only quilt police that is important is the one making it, in my opinion.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:42 AM

Ditto! :shock:
Old 02-03-2011, 06:53 AM

Years ago I read an article (can't remember the author) about being "good enough." I've used that guideline ever since. If my quilt is attractive, well-made, and pleases me and others than it is good enough! I think it is foolish to set a standard too high and take all the enjoyment out of our lives. One of the quilters in my group said if it is perfect it won't look hand made, as if we could ever make a quilt perfect, but we sure have fun quilting.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:55 AM

I put quilts under bedspreads when they're on the beds because that's my decorating style. So, regardless of who made the quilts, obviously I'm not looking for perfection. And I know I'm not the only one who is not making bedspreads but making quilts to use instead of blankets. But I love the process of making quilts!

Does anyone else put bedspreads ontop of their quilts?
Old 02-03-2011, 06:58 AM

I quilt for fun and love,forgot about perfection a long time ago. I am not entering any contest. No quilt policemen here.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:58 AM

I do, especially when my cat decides to sleep on my bed. She doesn't when it is warm weather.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:59 AM
sap

If perfectionism is the goal I've got a problem. I'm disabled and had to give up on perfectionism a long time ago, but I still like to sew and quilt. figure if u don't like it don't accept itl I like it and want to give it to u as. :-D :thumbup: