Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection >

I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

Old 02-03-2011, 10:21 AM
A

I must say, the ONLY person who is PERFECT is Jesus Christ our Lord. In the OLD days, little inperfections were put into the quilt for that exact reason. I gave up being perfect long ago - my quilts are made with love. I've been quilting for 25 years & have yet to get anything but a huge smile when someone receives a quilt from me.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by A
I must say, the ONLY person who is PERFECT is Jesus Christ our Lord. In the OLD days, little inperfections were put into the quilt for that exact reason. I gave up being perfect long ago - my quilts are made with love. I've been quilting for 25 years & have yet to get anything but a huge smile when someone receives a quilt from me.
I suspect that's one of those "old wive's tales" since thinking you had to intentionally put a mistake in or it would be perfect would be a sin of arrogance.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:33 AM

Intentional mistakes are also in the Persian hand tied rug tradition as well. My grandmother (oh, my, I am quoting her a lot these days) called them humble blocks.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:50 AM

Seems to me if you pay attention, you WILL get your seams correct the first time
Originally Posted by Becky13
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE quilting, but am frustrated at the sense that everything I do has to be perfect. Reading about the latest gadget that we can buy to make SURE that we get that 1/4" (minus two threads), just makes me sigh... And how we scurry to take out a seam when our blocks are off 3 threads. All the talk about being sure that everything is "exact". Are we quilting because it's fun? We're making a loving gift? Or is perfection the goal?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:54 AM

Ah shoot! I am sooooo over going for perfection! Been there, done that and produced so little because I'M NOT PERFECT! Now, I try my best, enjoy what I do, grumble when I have difficulty but am proud of what I do. If I were perfect....then my name would be Jenny Beyer...not Barbie Wilson! hahahaha! And I'd be doing this for a living instead of fun. Frankly, I like fun better!!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Most of that is just to sell more gadgets. Fabric is an imperfect medium. Minor imperfections are to be expected and only enhance the beauty of the final product.

If it's still ugly, you didn't cut it small enough. If it's still crooked, your galloping horse isn't going fast enough!!
I like the way you think. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 02-03-2011, 11:05 AM

I once showed A really funny quilt at the guild show and one lady asked to see the back. She then announced she could see a pucker in the back.One of the ladies jumped up and said dont be silly Roni always quilts a 3 dimensional pattern on the back!I have gone right on doing so every once in a while just to prove her right of course!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by A
I suspect that's one of those "old wive's tales" since thinking you had to intentionally put a mistake in or it would be perfect would be a sin of arrogance.
It is not an "old wife's tale". It is also believed in other communities like Native Americans.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:12 AM

It seems to me that the people who point out every little error are the same 'helpful' people who are so happy to point out when one has put on a little weight (When did you get so fat?). (I dunno; probably about the same time you got so rude.)
Old 02-03-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
Yep, i threw out a project today because it just wasnt coming out how I wanted, it sits there in the trash, I'm not picking out of there, I'm tired of picking out stiches on the darn thing.
good for you! :)