Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New sewing/craft room >

New sewing/craft room

New sewing/craft room

Old 01-30-2011, 08:52 PM

Not only is your room amazing but it's amazing you get to spend time with your Mom. Making wonderful memories!
Old 01-31-2011, 08:02 PM

I used a 24x66 inch piece of 3/4 inch plywood covered with a doubled wool batting and then with muslin. I pulled the batting tight and taped it down temporarily while I pulled the muslin tight and stapled the muslin. I figured I'd redo the muslin at some point but not the batting so didn't staple the bat. I'm going to make an elastic cover out of the silver ironing board fabric one of these days....just haven't gotten around to it! The 3/4 inch plywood is heavy enough to 'stay put' and I don't worry about it warping.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:54 AM

Truly a beautiful space for your mom and you to share creativity. May I ask where you got your fabric shelves?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by midwestqltr
Truly a beautiful space for your mom and you to share creativity. May I ask where you got your fabric shelves?
I built them myself - There are three 3x8 foot units.

I used 3/4 inch high grade plywood (finished on both sides). I wanted 14-16 inch storage so to make the best use of the sheet of plywood, I made the units 16" deep. This allowed me to get the 6 sides out of 2 full sheets.
Since I knew ahead of time that I was also going to build a 12" deep cabinet style design board, I did a 12"x8' cut on 5 sheets (to be used as sides/shelves on the cabinet) and the remaining 3x8' board worked out to 6 16"x36" fabric shelves per board. I decided on 36" rather than 48" shelves hoping that they would not sag...time will tell! The fabric is wrapped around an 8" ruler and allows a little 'wiggle' room for the 4 stacks per shelf.

I used 1x2 pine to support the shelves; 1x4 for trim on bottom/between shelf sections and 1x3 trim on top to hide the top of the units and to give it a finished look tying the three together.

Probably more information than you wanted or needed, but in case anyone else is curious or wants to build something similar, decided to 'go for it' and tell you how they came to be!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:02 PM

Fantastic, awesome. I can see you and your mom smiling right now. You both are probably hi-fiving each other. Great job. You have just inspired me. Love everything about both sides of the room. What a wonderful way to share with your mom.

ps...you may have to add a bed because I don't forse either of you sleeping anywhere else.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:33 PM

Your sewing room in beautiful. You are so lucky. My dad made me a board to fit over my ironing board. I ordered my cover on the computer from Bo-Nash. It is the silver cover and sticks to the board. I love this and never use a regular ironing board now.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:04 PM

O I'm green with envy :mrgreen: your sewing room is so
awesome,lucky you. It is so great that your DM gets to work
right there with you how sweet is that. Enjoy your space
Lady;s. :D
Old 02-01-2011, 05:03 PM

What an amazing space! You ladies are very lucky!!
Old 02-03-2011, 02:39 PM

I thought my new sewing space was wonderful but yours beats mine! Unfortunately mine had carpet already and my DH wouldn't let me pull it up. I know it has tile under it but he still wouldn't let me. I inheireted(sp) my sisters appartment, which we own, for a sewing room. It is a small appt but one bedroom holds my long arm Inova and the other bedroom holds my sewing machine, cutting table, big padded table and my designing wall and an embrodery machine that I never use. It is manual and I never mastered it hence never used. But still, I am happy with it and am in the process of organizing my stash. The LR and the kitchen hopefully will still function after I finally get everything organized. That way company can use the hideabed couch and have their own bathroom, not that we have much company tho. I will try to post pix when I get done. I LOVE yours! I too used several 6 drawer chests.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by drgranny
I thought my new sewing space was wonderful but yours beats mine! Unfortunately mine had carpet already and my DH wouldn't let me pull it up. I know it has tile under it but he still wouldn't let me. I inheireted(sp) my sisters appartment, which we own, for a sewing room. It is a small appt but one bedroom holds my long arm Inova and the other bedroom holds my sewing machine, cutting table, big padded table and my designing wall and an embrodery machine that I never use. It is manual and I never mastered it hence never used. But still, I am happy with it and am in the process of organizing my stash. The LR and the kitchen hopefully will still function after I finally get everything organized. That way company can use the hideabed couch and have their own bathroom, not that we have much company tho. I will try to post pix when I get done. I LOVE yours! I too used several 6 drawer chests.
I am envious of your whole apartment location!!!! We don't have any room for guests other than the oversize sleeper chairs in the living room so there is little privacy for family that stays over.....they don't particularly care though so that's good! There was 'some thought' about making space in the room for guests but that went by the wayside pretty quickly as it filled up with all of our 'stuff'! I do have room for a longarm but so far have resisted the urge to own one. I rent time on one locally and let them deal with the upkeep and repairs etc. I'll probably give in one of these days....
Please post pictures - I'm always anxious to get new ideas and love to 'take a peek' inside everyones space :-) Never ceases to amaze me the unique ideas out there that can be incorporated into your own space to make it better.