Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection >

I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

Old 02-03-2011, 04:19 PM

We are our worst best critics. I believe it is the Amish who alway have a "humility block" in their quilts. Don't stress over perfection, stress for happiness.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:32 PM

Well first of all no-one is perfect. I don't know that anything I do is perfect in any of my crafts--I am a pretty good cook!!! lol :) I do know what you mean though. I have had people look at my work like it is contaminated (or something). But you know what I think they are weird and I am going to do what I enjoy doing. They won't get any gifts from me. And my husband loves what I do and always compliments me. The ones that are most important to me enjoy what I make and that what is means the most and is most important to me.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:35 PM

I understand where your coming from but have to admit that although all my squares or points are not perfect all of the time I do like them to look like they are supposed to match up. I can live with a little off but do strive to get all my points to match when I can; have lost count of how often I have had to reverse sew :lol:

There isn't a person on this planet who is perfect and so I live with my imperfect offerings (when I have to) :D

Maybe1day

Done is much better than perfect. Thats my motto. cm

Done is much better than perfect. Thats my motto. cm
Old 02-03-2011, 04:37 PM

Take a close look at the quilts in the magazines. They are not perfect.

I used to strive for perfection and didn't finish much. Thanks to Mark Lipinski, I know it is ok not to be perfect.

And now I finish quilts and have a heck of a lot of fun!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:39 PM

I was a perfectionist, then I started counted cross stitch, tatting and quilting. Now nothing is perfect but everything is beautiful.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Becky13
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE quilting, but am frustrated at the sense that everything I do has to be perfect. Reading about the latest gadget that we can buy to make SURE that we get that 1/4" (minus two threads), just makes me sigh... And how we scurry to take out a seam when our blocks are off 3 threads. All the talk about being sure that everything is "exact". Are we quilting because it's fun? We're making a loving gift? Or is perfection the goal?
I quilt for fun, and it's a LOT more fun when the pieces go together right and the seams match easily. Sewing those scant 1/4" seams makes that happen and I'm grateful to whoever figured it out for me. I also find the gadgets "fun". If anyone feels threatened in any way by them, then they certainly shouldn't use them.

We all have our own standards, and I'm not going to stop trying to learn to do things better and better. "Perfection" isn't a dirty word.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:43 PM

I have never been a perfectionist and never will be. I do the best I can with what I have and I enjoy it that way. I have a SIL who thinks everything has to be perfect and it has actually drove her over the edge a couple of times. I don't want to be put in a padded room with a straight jacket on. LOL
Old 02-03-2011, 04:50 PM

I agree! Isn't the point that this is made by humans...and there is only one perfect one of those (smile). It surely is NOT me!!! Love the looks of artistic renderings. IF wanted cookie-cutter machine-made offerings I'd spend MUCH less money, and head over to 'ol WALie-world. NOT my goal either. Be free! Be free! Let those nasty quilt-police patrol one another...I refuse to listen! ; - D